Locator neon for two-way lighting

Don't mind if the indicators are always lit.
Do you mean "not always lit"? - since that will be the situation with bernard's method (they will be un-lit when the light is on).

Kind Regards, John

Hi John

Neons always on would be acceptable but the best outcome is neons only on when the lights are off.

Sorry if I was being unhelpful by trying to be helpful IYSWIM :)

Rgds
Richard

Sponsored Links
If the op really wants the neons on all the time and the conduit is big enough he can run two extra wires, live and neutral, to serve just the neons.

<sound of head slapping> Sometimes the simplest solution . . .

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
But you're ok with the neons being unlit when the main light is on, aren't you? ... After all, you shouldn't need the neon indicators when the main light is on.
As I've said, that would presumably be fine provided that both switches are in locations where they are illuminated by the 'main light'. That is probably, but not inevitably, the case.

Kind Regards, John

Don't forget you may need to change the lamp for something less energy efficient.

But you're ok with the neons being unlit when the main light is on, aren't you? ... After all, you shouldn't need the neon indicators when the main light is on.
As I've said, that would presumably be fine provided that both switches are in locations where they are illuminated by the 'main light'. That is probably, but not inevitably, the case.

Kind Regards, John

It's funny how one composes a question and then strips out the bits considered to be superfluous 'fluff' and someone identifies a bit of relevant detail that has been discarded as 'fluff'. In this case the switches are at either end of the carport and are fully illuminated when the lamps are on.

Cheers

Richard

It's funny how one composes a question and then strips out the bits considered to be superfluous 'fluff' and someone identifies a bit of relevant detail that has been discarded as 'fluff'.
Indeed. It very often arises when something is so well-known/'obvious' to oneself that one forgets that others may not actually know it!
In this case the switches are at either end of the carport and are fully illuminated when the lamps are on.
Fair enough. As I previously said, that was very probably the case, but not inevitably. In some situations like yours, one switch might have been at the end of a drive and facing away from light it operated :)

Kind Regards, John

Sorry for the slow reply - I was told that family stuff (wife's not mine!) came first.

I've connected the neons across L1 and L2 and they both illuminate when the lamps are off irrespective of the switch positions. This is as predicated.

Thanks to all who pondered on this question for me.

Happy New Year to all.

Richard

I've connected the neons across L1 and L2 and they both illuminate when the lamps are off irrespective of the switch positions. This is as predicated. ... Thanks to all who pondered on this question for me.
You're welcome. At least in my case, "as predicted" only after some initial confusion/distorted thinking :)
Happy New Year to all.
Thanks ...and the same to you and yours.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back