Locator neon for two-way lighting

As far as I can tell, the only time when either L1 or L2 is not connected to anything - either live or the neutral fed through the lamp - then the lamp would be lit anyway.

Draw it out, I think Bernard was right...

Sponsored Links
At each switch connect the neon between L1 and L2.
Will try this tomorrow and report back.
I would suggest that you keep an eye on subsequent posts before you try it - as I've been saying, I really can't see that it could possibly work - since only one end of a neon would then ever be connected to 'anything'.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed I agree with you John but thought that it would be helpful to those who insist that it will work if I could say that I had tried it without success :)

Access to the carport wiring is easy and unexpected events will not compromise the rest of the houses lighting so I don't mind experimenting.

Regards

Richard

When the room / carport light is off.

L1 is connected to live line.

L2 is connected to the lamp neutral.

It's only when the room light is on that a terminal is connected to nothing.

I'm being to doubt myself now ! :rolleyes:

At each switch connect the neon between L1 and L2.
Will try this tomorrow and report back.
I would suggest that you keep an eye on subsequent posts before you try it - as I've been saying, I really can't see that it could possibly work - since only one end of a neon would then ever be connected to 'anything'.

Kind Regards, John

I think it should work. With the lamp off, one end of each neon will be live, the other end will be effectively at neutral through the lamp filament.

Sponsored Links
When the room / carport light is off.

L1 is connected to live line.

L2 is connected to the lamp neutral.

It's only when the room light is on that a terminal is connected to nothing.

I'm being to doubt myself now ! :rolleyes:

Me too after that description!

Referring to Fig 2 in this link: http://www.lightwiring.co.uk/tag/2-way-lighting-circuit-diagram/ and calling the switch to the left A and that to right B and where the light is off:

A com = Live (permanent)
A2 = Live
A1 = nothing

B com = switched live to lamp
B1 = nothing
B2 = Live

There's no neutral present - unless by that you mean a neutral leak through the 'off' (fluorescent) lamps.

Curiously, both neons illuminate in one of the two possible 'lamp off' settings.

In fairness to all, I will make detailed notes of the switch positions and effects tomorrow.

Rgds

Richard

As far as I can tell, the only time when either L1 or L2 is not connected to anything - either live or the neutral fed through the lamp - then the lamp would be lit anyway. ... Draw it out, I think Bernard was right...
Oh, I see your point. Yes, I agree - so long as the light is off, it will work. That might be OK for OP, if the switches are both in positions which are illuminated by the light. I thought that he wanted the neons always to be lit.

Kind Regards, John

It's only when the room light is on that a terminal is connected to nothing. :rolleyes:
Yes, so you wouldn't need the neon indicator then, would you? Yes, it is confusing, but I think it's right... ...or is it...
Yes, as I've just written, you're right that it will work when the light is off - so OK for the OP provided that both of the switches are illuminated by the light they control.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed I agree with you John but thought that it would be helpful to those who insist that it will work if I could say that I had tried it without success :)
As you will see, there has been some 'talking at cross purposes' at work. I thought that you wanted to neons to always be on. If it is acceptable for the neons to be on only when the light is off, then bernard's proposal will work.

Kind Regards, John

As far as I can tell, the only time when either L1 or L2 is not connected to anything - either live or the neutral fed through the lamp - then the lamp would be lit anyway. ... Draw it out, I think Bernard was right...
Oh, I see your point. Yes, I agree - so long as the light is off, it will work. That might be OK for OP, if the switches are both in positions which are illuminated by the light. I thought that he wanted the neons always to be lit.

Kind Regards, John

Don't mind if the indicators are always lit.

R

But you're ok with the neons being unlit when the main light is on, aren't you?

After all, you shouldn't need the neon indicators when the main light is on.

If the op really wants the neons on all the time and the conduit is big enough he can run two extra wires, live and neutral, to serve just the neons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back