Lockdown Cooking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure I'm not the first, but I have found out a fuss-free way of making gas stove-top rice pudding.

100g of risotto rice, 50g of sugar and 700ml of fridge-cold milk ( I usually double these) In a saucepan, give it a stir then put it on the lowest setting and leave it. Stir it a few times.

You can happily get on with something else not having to worry about it burning, sticking or boiling over.

1 and a half hours later it's done.

Sponsored Links
:)
I've used a lot of recipes over the years and personally, I prefer a slow-baked pudding. But for sheer ease, this one is good.

I'm sure I'm not the first, but I have found out a fuss-free way of making gas stove-top rice pudding.

100g of risotto rice, 50g of sugar and 700ml of fridge-cold milk ( I usually double these) In a saucepan, give it a stir then put it on the lowest setting and leave it. Stir it a few times.

You can happily get on with something else not having to worry about it burning, sticking or boiling over.

1 and a half hours later it's done.
Thankyou for that.Will give it a go.

Sponsored Links
One of my 'standbys', made in a large batch, then it can be kept ready for use in take-away type containers, is corned beef hash. A tin of corned beef, potatoes, onions, carrots, couple of oxo cubes and water to cover, pepper and salt, chucked in a large pot and simmered until the potatoes are soft. Add in a tins of peas and/or a tin of kidney beans, maybe some pasta. Defrost when you fancy and heat up a couple of frozen Yorkie Puds to go with it.

The take-away containers occupy almost no space in the freezer, I make them 8 at a time and ready to eat in minutes.

Did you Google "How to make rice pudding?"? 16.3 million results. :LOL:
No but google what is the best rice for rice pudding, we had a large family debate over this few days back, yeah that bored we were.

Whenever I make a curry, a spag Bol or a chilli con carne, I make loads and freeze several portions for another time. It an easy meal and only takes as long as it takes to boil some rice or pasta and it always tastes better after being frozen too. One thing I have started doing since lockdown and the scarcity of rice and pasta is actually measuring out the recommended quantities! I always used to just chuck in what I thought was a reasonable amount....and then a bit more for luck and ended up with tons of it which I had to eat or throw away.

One thing I have started doing since lockdown and the scarcity of rice and pasta is actually measuring out the recommended quantities! I always used to just chuck in what I thought was a reasonable amount....and then a bit more for luck and ended up with tons of it which I had to eat or throw away.
I wonder if we get to retain a better value of food after this is over and not waste so much?

Btw, 1kg of rice costs more in India where it is grown than it does in the UK!

According to Amazon India 1Kg of basmati costs £1.30, Tilda from Tesco is £4.75, it may cost more in relative terms according to average income

According to Amazon India 1Kg of basmati costs £1.30, Tilda from Tesco is £4.75, it may cost more in relative terms according to average income
You can usually get 10kg of basmati in most of the supermarkets/asian shops for about a tenner.

So cheaper in actual terms.

Unless of course you go for the vastly inflated price of a brand name!

Not much change here really but more real cooking rather than quickies. That comes down to what we can keep and get. So another freezer bought so that we can stock it with quickies, frozen stuff, fish, burgers etc. To big really for that but will allow more bread to be bought in one go.

My wife isn't very good at doing nothing and likes making cakes etc. Flour is tricky to get ;) so 6kg of self raising and 6kg of plain on it's way. 2kg of Stork as well.

Found some one to deliver veg. Rather a lot though so had broccoli and pork chop for dinner. The chunk of broccoli was too big and no point in adding much in the line of potato. Cheese and potato pie has been mentioned so guess some need using. ;) We have an excess of cheese so likely to be as I like it. Eggs about too - my favourite with it.

Also made some soup from veg - pretty quick and easy to do with a hand liquidiser.

Pasta is hard to get but just found1.6kg of tagliatelle which should arrive Friday. My favourite form as I reckon it cooks better but hope it's a decent make.

Rice no problem have a few kg of it.

Only problem with bulky mail order is price - it's inflated at the moment and for instance 12kg of flour wont get here cheaply.

Whenever I make a curry, a spag Bol or a chilli con carne, I make loads and freeze several portions for another time. It an easy meal and only takes as long as it takes to boil some rice or pasta and it always tastes better after being frozen too. One thing I have started doing since lockdown and the scarcity of rice and pasta is actually measuring out the recommended quantities! I always used to just chuck in what I thought was a reasonable amount....and then a bit more for luck and ended up with tons of it which I had to eat or throw away.

When my partner is away working for a week, I just do a monster chilli and keep the pan in the fridge for the week. Next to the beer. Then just warm up a portion and some rice each day. Man may not be able to live by bread alone, but beer and chilli hits the spot. (y)

WRT rice prices, are you comparing traditional cook rice, with "2 mins in the microwave" stuff (like Tilda?) Because the latter will be differently-processed (and therefore, justifiably-pricier), I would have thought.

Sponsored Links
Back