Locksmith needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know how I could get this unlocked? Previous owner lost the key and it’s locked shut. Guessing I’m going to need a locksmith...

Attachments

• F7E011F2-B835-4CEA-8A94-6CFF10E2AD06.jpeg
    F7E011F2-B835-4CEA-8A94-6CFF10E2AD06.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 404
Sponsored Links
Look on YouTube for "drilling out a Euro cylinder"

A new cylinder is only about £15 and comes with 2 or 3 keys

Oh fantastic, thank you for the quick reply! I’ll check that out now. I’m not very handy, mind! Thanks again.

Yep, or snap the euro by removing that handle 1st.

Sponsored Links
Remove the handle, this exposes the Euro barrel, using a good quality adjustable spanner, adjust to correct size and swing on it applying some brute force.

The handle doesn’t have any screws on it. I’ll try and get something behind it to see if it’s just some casing.

The handle doesn’t have any screws on it. I’ll try and get something behind it to see if it’s just some casing.
Apologies, just re-looked, screws usually part of handle. Undo the 2 screws on that plate where the euro is.

IMO drilling it out is less likely to damage the door and glass, than trying to snap it.

Burglars often snap them, but remember they don't care about damage.

IMO drilling it out is less likely to damage the door and glass, than trying to snap it.
Seen it done loads of times by our joiners, and no damage, but they’ve been doing it for years. Probably best for someone not profound in diy, so yes likely less damaging than snapping in this instance.

Really appreciate the help. I’m going to try and drill tomorrow as I don’t want to wake the neighbours children. Thanks all!

Wear some goggles when drilling as the bit may snag and shatter...

Almost got the door open but can’t get the last of those little metal pellets out. Any ideas? tried hitting with a hammer...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back