Loft conversion bathroom - mains only?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, slugging through my loft conversion and thinking ahead to an ensuite shower room I have plans for. A few anxieties i'm sure some of you can help with:
I have to move the cold water tanks as they sit right where my dormer is going. The expansion tank for my vented conventional gas heating is built up on stilts - does it need to have a certain head above the highest radiator or could it be put downstairs in the top of the airing cupboard, just above the HWT?
I will get a coffin tank to sit in the eaves but this will obviously be below the height of my planned shower, basin and toilet. Can I run all these from mains only? I had thought to have no gas in the loft as electrically heated water and underfloor heating seemed adequate with the amount of insulation and heat shared from the flat below, and thought it would be good to have a totally independent leccy system if the gas failed for any reason. Can anyone recommend a not too expensive but satisfying mains only electric shower? Assuming the all electric idea is a goer?
Alternatively I could move my hot water tank up from the floor below freeing up a bit of space and providing HW to the whole property but it seems the upheaval and chance of bunging up the system in the re-working could bring more problems - i'll also be pumping cold water down to the boiler and then up in to the loft which seems inefficient.
Any thoughts?
Cheers!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back