Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just starting to build up a bit of knowledge to do my loft does anybody have anygood web sources for

1. Loft windows? Seems only Velux have a site for there windows, can anybody name some more manufacturers.

2. Info on stair manufacturers?

3. Building Regs?

All help appreciated

I'm a Gas Eng so any plumbing and central heating is already sorted?

Sponsored Links
There is some basic info here on Building Regs:

https://planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115313928708.html
http://www.labc.uk.com/buildingregs

Briefly, on completion, the building and the converted loft space must comply with the Building Regulations in terms of:

* Structural stability
* Fire safety
- means of warning and escape
- stopping the spread of fire
* Weather resistance
* Ventilation
* Stairs
* Thermal insulation
* Sound insulation
* Electrical safety
* Drainage

I'm in a similar situation to you so I'm sure someone more qualified will help, or "search" will give you a good basic idea of what's involved as well.

A photo of your loft space may help as well, as it'll show how your roof is constructed and how you can tackle the structural aspects of a loft conversion.

Sponsored Links
Yes height is fine the pitch on the roof is quite steep. I was more after websites to look at Ideas of window option and stair options. My mate has called round tonight who's a joiner by trade but has done a lot of conversions. He said the height is no probs which I knew already that it was ok. You can stand up straight even up to where the walls will be. The main prob is i'm trying to avoid taking the stairway through the small bedroom. I'll take some pics and post them.
The lad he uses for the stair making is coming round next week but i'd rather tell him how i want them doing rather than him telling me because normally it's to make his life easier and not to meet my objections.
By the way how to you post pics on here I don't see no browse file to add button

DSC01015.jpg

The pic with the brickwork really close is a chimney breast which runs through the centre of the loft its a town house so its the full width of the house its about 6.5m x 5m

Where is your hallway in relation to the loft?

There 's photo in my thread of a possible staircase solution from a hall (albeit that it's not enclosed and doesn't meet BR as shown)?

don't have a traditional straight landing. I'll try to describe it come through front door stair way is to the left as you walk in straight down hall to kitchen and lounge door on right. Go upstairs and the bath room wall is facing you turn right and then bathroom is to the left bed 2 is facing you and airing cupboard is on the right walk onto square landing and just after airing small bed 3 and bed 1 is next to airing cupboard. Landing is square [/u]

DSC01017.jpg

Heres a plan of 1st floor the bed 3 and bed 1 are not as big as they look on sketch.

I am converting a similar property at the moment ,the stairs are going partly in bedroom 3 on your sketch and over the top of the existing staircase(always the best place to put them if possible as you waste less space).A small area of the bedroom has been lost to accommodate the stairs but not much.
There are a few other window manufacturers such as Fakro and keylite,but I always use Velux.
As for Building regs,give local building control a ring they are normally very helpfull ,or the person who draws your plans should be able to answer your questions

Had the stair maker round tonight and going to knock down airing cupboard start them there then do a 90 then they will run parallel with existing stairs. Has anybody heard about plastic beams instead of RSJ's? Somebody was telling me about them there meant to be just as strong but are a lot lighter and easier to manage.

Has anybody heard about plastic beams instead of RSJ's? Somebody was telling me about them there meant to be just as strong but are a lot lighter and easier to manage.

surely 'tis too early for an april 1 statement?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back