Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am looking to do a loft conversion during the summer. I have no idea as to, where I should start.

I'm thinking of:

1) Get an architect, have the necessary plans made (Again would like to know what sort of time this usually takes?)

2)Don't know (Have no Idea!!) about the process of planning & Permission, what I need to do.......

Don't know if this makes any difference, I already have 90 degrees windows to the front of the house and not the angled type ones, sorry I dont know the exact terms.

Sorry for being so naive, I am very desperate for some help, i've been thinking of this for the past 5 years, but had no luck whatsoever :confused:

Sponsored Links
You're going in the right direction if you're going to engage an architect.

He/she will advise you on the planning process and how long it takes.

The actual planning application from submission of drawings etc can take between 6-8weeks, youll also need to submit to building regulations but can start works before those plans are approved. A half decent architect can probably knock up the planning drawings in 3-4weeks assuming you know exactly what you want and dont change much..

Sponsored Links
Planning permission is rarely required for loft conversions, as you already have dormer windows, then PP may not be required.

The main issue with conversions is the structural suports and bracing. You defininatly don't want to use an registered Architect (ie RIBA) as there is very little design work in a conversion, and an Architect will command more in fees.

You would be better off using a designer who can also do the structural calculations, otherwise you will pay a lot more in fees for the design and fees for the structural design.

I started my own loft conversion nearly 4 years ago. Time was never an issue and the whole idea came from lowering my bedroom ceilings. At the time we fitted 6*2 wooden joists then plaster boarded and skimmed. This was the 1st floor done then I took as long as I needed to complete the rest.

I got a retired drawer in to measure and draw up my plans he worked out that the beams we had put in where too small for the span, these beems where already in so I asked the BC man and he said we can double up on the joist centres and that was the only real problem we had. It was hard work to cut and fit new joists without affecting the finished rooms below but I did it with only 2 small plaster chips underneath which is where I strategically placed some smoke alarms.

As the bedroom ceilings where already in place I was able to go into the loft and remove the loft floor from inside the loft, the main problem was having to remove each bag through the house.

I remember when we first got the letter back from the council there was a lot of problems but when we looked into each one there was very little to panic about. The chaps from our local BC where all very helpful offering different options and solutions and they allways provided help on the phone when I rang them.

The loft is now complete and just requires painting then we can move some more rubbish up there. I nearly finished it all myself but we just recently had a new baby boy so he is taking up all our time now. I got a builder in to finish what I had started all he had to do was finish boarding out and insulating then skim it all which I was never going to do anyway.

Anyway good luck with your loft like I said its hard work especially if you work as well but it is worth it in the LONG!!! run.

:D

Sorry forgot to add

We didn't require planning permission because we didn't change the shape of the outside of the house.

We had 2 Velox windows in and I think in some areas you need special ones to maintain the look of the area.

You may also need planning permission if you live in a conserved area which we didn't. Ring your council they will tell you but if your having dormers then you definitely need PP.

We had time on our hands so once we had our plans passed you tell them you have commenced work then you get as long as you need to finish the work to the plans you have submitted.

Cant exactly remember how much the council cost but it was around the £300 mark and the drawer charged me just over £100. If you have the right program on your PC and you want to give it a go then try it out for yourself. Our drawing is basically a plan of the house and a description of what we will be doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back