Loft Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to extend my bungalow and convert the loft, the only problem is that the pitch of the roof is low and i would have to "take the existing roof off and increase the pitch" This was supposed to be a long term plan but the wooden soffets etc.... are very rotten and replacing this year so i was thinking of just creating the "shell" upstairs and to partition the rooms off etc at a later date. My question is how do i go about doing this, what order do i need to complete things - i.e. planning permission, plans etc any help would be greatfully received.

Joseph

Sponsored Links
Since you are going to change the roof-line you will need planning permission.

You need fairly detailed plans to apply for the planning permission.

All in its a pretty big job so you probably want to get a builder in anyway...

Thanks for the reply,

And yes i will getting a builder in, i just wanted to know what order things needed to be done in, am i right in saying plannng permission is first? Is this before plans are drawn up? And who should i be getting to draw the plans up for me. Sorry for sounding thick, im a good DIY'er ive just never attempted anything like this before!!!!

Joseph

Architect will come round & tell what can be done plus do all the drawing for you which will be passed by BCO, then after that you pay the BCO a one off payment for a building inspector to visit as many time as you want.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Masona,

Is there a data base of Architects online that i can pick from? or does anyone know of one to reconmend id the Preston area? And what sort of cost am i looking at for the plans??

Thanks again

Joseph

Have a look in the Yellow pages and go for a small firm or a self-employed person who work for themselves which I find the communication is better than a bigger company or friends recommendation or BCO can give you a lists of Architects in your area. I don't know much about online database. The costs depend on if stress calculation is needed, so you may pay a small fee for their time on site to discuss this with you for the final cost outlay of the plans.

Hello to everyone in the forum.

This example is not exactly for the same scope of works you intend to undertake but it may be of some assistance.

I investigated the costs for the design/drgs of a loft conversion recently and was quoted the following examples:

Architect 1 - Fee based on milestones

Initial Consultation - No charge
Prepare outline drg's for discussion with client - £600
Prepare detailed drg's for submision to local council - £600
Prepare detailed specification for issue of tenders to recommended builders, issue tenders and review quotations - £600
Manage construction phase of project with selected building contractor/final account, etc - £600

Architect 2 - Fee based on contract value

Contract Value of say £25,000 - 15%
Contract Value of say £40,000 - 12%
Scope of work as above.

All local council costs for approval, site inspections, etc excluded from the above.

There is no easy guide to the scale of Architect costs. As already posted, you need to approach a number firms to gain a comparative view. Architect 1 was self employed whereas Architect 2 was a smallish company. This was for the East Midlands area based on a detached property.

Hope this helps in some way.

hondacrm, thanks for that information, excellent stuff for reference.
I would be interested in seeing how your project develops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back