Loft hatch size

Sponsored Links
Must be a pre 1972 hatch if its 15 inches. After that they were changed to 381mm under the Lofts Over Landings regs 1972.

Screwed shut from the landing side is nothing to worry about. However, screwed shut from the loft side would be.

Could someone climb in to attic at those measurements 15 by 15 ? . Seems tight squeeze . Energy performance certificate was done but did they just poke head in - no idea .

Sponsored Links
Must be a pre 1972 hatch if its 15 inches. After that they were changed to 381mm under the Lofts Over Landings regs 1972.

Screwed shut from the landing side is nothing to worry about. However, screwed shut from the loft side would be.
Could someone climb in to attic at those measurements 15 by 15 ? . Seems tight squeeze . Energy performance certificate was done but did they just poke head in - no idea .

If there is any plumbing works in the loft then just make sure your hire a slim Plumber.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Andy

Someone slim and athletic would do it no problem. In one of my old house, (I don't know what the measurements were), I had to put my hands together and poke them through the opening. Then stepping up the ladder I just managed to get my upper torso through, which then enabled me to put my hands across the joists and haul myself in like doing a vertical push-up. Getting out was even more fun, trying to lower myself through such a small space and hoping the ladder was still in the right position because you couldn't see anything looking down as your body was in the way..

...was just reminded of this thread after a little loft clearout.
The old hatch was 13" X 16" - it was rather tight to get through - especially getting back down; a sort of drop into oblivion, hoping the step ladder was still exactly where you left it!

20230515_182816.jpg

Our main hatch, which has a pull down ladder, is 19" x 33"
The original one in the old section of the house is 19" x 19"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back