Loft Ventilation Issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a four bed detached house and had a new roof fitted a couple of years ago. The loft is quite shallow in terms of height.

Since the roof has been fitted I have topped up a quarter of the insulation and also have additional people living the house now.

During the recent snow\cold spells. I have noticed condensation in the loft on the inside of the roof causing drips onto the loft flooring boards. To try and remove the condensation, I have put a fan up there at times and dried up the condensation on the roof felt, but it of course returns.

I have made sure the insulation is not touching the roof edges\eves and the facias covering the eves have small vents already.

Just wondered if it would be best to consider adding tile vents to provide additional ventilation to the loft?

Also what else can I do in the meantime to prevent further condensation build up in the loft?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Check your extractors are working and connected to the outside.
You noticed drips on loft floor... how much insulation have you?
and of course do the loft hatch.

its possible your adding to the problem by frequent checking try leaving it a week with everything turned off to settle down without opening the trapdoor
as every time you go up there you are filling with warm wet air that will condense

Sponsored Links
During the recent snow\cold spells. I have noticed condensation in the loft on the inside of the roof
That's likely the case with every house in the UK and even those with breathable membranes.

Wedge the felt laps open to help with air movement and moisture runs, but don't think that you will ever stop it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back