Loop circuit light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm a relative novice when it comes to electrical wiring so bare with me on this problem...

I'm installing a new light fitting to a ceiling rose socket which has a loop circuit as well as the usual Live, Earth and Neutral. I have installed 2 others which only had the 3 usual wires with no issues.

The old ceiling rose had a terminal block housing the wires in a live, neutral and switch setting in a formation of 3 3 2 respectively with the earth attached to a screw nut somewhere else on the plastic ceiling rose base.

My new light fitting only had a terminal block of 3 , one for each of the live, earth and neutral wires. The earth was already clamped onto a metal spike protruding from the actual case/frame of the fitting.

To work around the lack of terminal block points on the new fitting I removed the old one from the ceiling rose and then attached the live and neutral wires of the fitting to their places and secured the earth wire to the remaining spot.

When testing it was ok it worked with the fixture dangling somewhat from the ceiling.

However, when trying to attach the fitting to the metal base plate attached to the ceiling the light does not work at all.

I'm not sure why this is but would hazard a guess that it may be due to the metal base plate bracket coming into contact with the main fixture and something to do with the earth wire being attached to the fixtures main body via a connector block.

Please note that in the pictures I have removed the earth wires and taped them up but have tried it with the earths plugged into the terminal blocks earth slot along with the metal pin on the other end.

Any ideas what I have gotten wrong? :-S

I literally swapped like for like without even having to rewire much so am baffled why it works when it is hanging off the ceiling but doesn't when it's attached.

Many thanks for your time and advice.

Jhen

p.s. I think I've attached the pictures...if they don't show up I've made an album which you can see them in.

Sponsored Links
The pictures appear to show that either of the cores could be becoming disconnected when you push the fitting up to the bracket, they don't appear to be properly secured. As Pigeon 85 says use some screw connectors to join the wires in the same way as they are currently ( but ensure there is no bare copper wire as shown in your pics.) & push them up into the ceiling with just 2 cores, the switched live & neutral, connected under the cover of the fitting.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back