loop in at the switch

There's people out there who insist that you should supp bond pipes in a kitchen "Because they've always done it that way" :rolleyes:
Surely not time-served sparks who because they've served their time think they no longer have to move with the times?

Surely not time-served sparks for whom there should be no suggestion that their competence to work to today's standards and practices should ever need to be checked?

Sponsored Links
i have no problem when you do one or two switches
as i said outside light dp switch or one room but a time served spark would not set a whole job out in this manner
Not one who was prepared to move with the times, no....

Why do you think that this method smacks of DIY of 5 day wonder?
Because he's a time-served spark who because he's served his time thinks he no longer has to move with the times.

But hey - let's not even suggest that his competence to work to today's standards and practices should ever need to be checked, eh?

Sponsored Links
Thats two recent posts of yours Mr BAS that have made me want to do the same.

Tell you what, you can have my last Rolo.

i move with the times 14th ed now 17th edition learning from the cradle to the grave its the 5 day wonders that think they know it all after 30 years i am still learning

When I started my apprenticeship it was the 16th edition regs (red book), closely followed by the yellow version.
Moving with the times requires you to adopt new skills to take into consideration new practices and new equipment, a few years ago most of the lights fitted in a house would have a proper loop in style ceiling rose, now a majority of people are wanting fashionable light fittings which don't take into consideration the loop in style of wiring, the space in them is pretty dire!
With some of the lights the sheds supply now, just fitted one of these oustide lights for a mate: Lantern. Was horrible enough just getting 1.5 twin and earth to terminate in it, given the enclosure housing the terminals screwed to the back and then you had to screw it all back to the wall forcing the wire through the grommet.

look when that method is a last resort fine but i would not design a hole job like that i dont like it its that simple and i will say again most times i have seen this method it has been employed by chancers then i get people telling me i dont move with the times i keep my self up to speed in this game i dont like this method and that is that

You may not like it, that is up to you. I don't like marmite, but that is up to me!
The method is being used by competent electricians, it complies with BS7671, what is the problem? To imply that the only people who use this method are chancers is wrong, unless you can come up with a better argument and point out a better option.

I like loop in at switches. I recently wired two 4 gang switches, all two way circuits loop in at the switch. I used double gang dry lining box on one wall and a regular double metal on the other. With some thought and preparation the cabling was neat and tidy and plenty of room for the choc blocks. As much of the lighting was recessed into a vaulted ceiling, I don't see how I could have done this without JB's all over the place only accessible through the downlight apperture, which I don't like at all.

Like jockspark I too remember the 14th and although not a reg afaik it was frowned upon to have a neutral at the switch unless needed.

We used to do pubs in the 80s and it was the norm to fit commercial switchbanks under the dist board and use double pole grid switches feeding the circuits.

Sometimes there was about 24 outgoing neutrals on maybe 6 or more lighting circuits.

I remember a new guy did not understand and tried to 3 plate all the circuits at the fittings instead and nearly lost his job.

As you say though, in houses, with mainly ceiling rose 3 plate, there was no need to wire it that way back then.

Not doing domestic much I have not come across many neutrals at switches, but can see how it could assist as I have come across a few now boxed in ceiling roses, where downlights have been put in.

What is normal, to do the whole house the same,or just the rooms that benefit, and wire the other rooms in the more conventional loop in ceiling rose.

some of my walls are only 3 inch breeze so I would imagine it gets a bit busy with 3cables a connecter and a dimmer.

If this method is as common as it sounds , I suppose the sleeving now is even more essential and perhaps twin brown may become more popular.

Why would you need twin brown? You have 3 brown (live in, live out and switch live) and 3 blue (neutrals) behind the switch.

Probably the reason for the demise of twin brown.

I never liked twin red, particularly where 2-way lighting comes in, I have always liked to know my permanant is red/brown and my switched is black/blue sleeved with red/brown.

It was pointed out not so long back that some of the twin brown cable has one brown conductor with brown inner and the other has a white inner to aid in identification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back