Lost communication

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this has probably been covered before but just want to check before I condemn the thermostat. Daughter has bought a house with a British Gas RC Plus wireless thermostat. Although we couldn't get it to do exactly what we wanted it was working. But we had to drop the power to the boiler and when it came back up the thermostat started showing E16 which I understand is a communication error. I have followed the instructions I have found to re-establish communication (turning off, then back on, pressing button 2 then both 1 and 2 on the receiver, placing the receiver and thermostat within a meter) many times with no success. The receiver allows me to manually overide and switch the heating on but the alarm light constantly shows red. I've about resigned myself to getting a new one unless anyone can suggest anything. Also any suggestions of what to replace it with? She's on a budget and it's a combi boiler.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Do you think that's worth a try? No battery errors or an indication they are failing. Nothing to lose I suppose.

The receiver allows me to manually overide and switch the heating on but the alarm light constantly shows red. I've about resigned myself to getting a new one unless anyone can suggest anything. Also any suggestions of what to replace it with? She's on a budget and it's a combi boiler.

Try the stat, closer to the receiver, try re-pairing the two, try new batteries in the remote.

Sponsored Links
I have had the stat right up to the receiver when pairing with no change. Will give new batteries a try though.
Is the alarm light just to alert that they are not talking?

When you press buttons 1 and 2 together the red light should start flashing to indicate it's in pairing mode, then you put the batteries in the thermostat. If that still doesn't work then it looks like it's faulty.

If you do need to replace, then there’s plenty of wireless programmable thermostats on the market, to suit many budgets. Just steer clear of extremely cheap Chinese rubbish or Salus/Secure (formerly Horstmann).

I've never understood the attraction of room thermostats with remote controls. My central heating thermostat is on the hall wall and programmed to make changes to its temperature setting at set times of the day. If I want to change any of these settings, or just bring on its higher evening setting a bit early, then I just walk up to it and make the necessary adjustment.
If I'm in another room it's really not a hardship to walk into the hall. If I wasn't in the house I wouldn't need to make any adjustment anyway.
Or am I missing something here?

I've never understood the attraction of room thermostats with remote controls. My central heating thermostat is on the hall wall and programmed to make changes to its temperature setting at set times of the day. If I want to change any of these settings, or just bring on its higher evening setting a bit early, then I just walk up to it and make the necessary adjustment.
If I'm in another room it's really not a hardship to walk into the hall. If I wasn't in the house I wouldn't need to make any adjustment anyway.
The attraction is ease and speed of use.

Just for clarity, this one is also in the hall and has similar functions to the one you describe, but it is a wireless thermostat as not in the same room as the boiler. I suppose it was put in the hall as this is more of a central point in the house to where the boiler is located. I could change it to a wired one. It is not what I would describe as remote control.

Do you also get out of your chair, to change the TV channel? Modern controls are wireless, to avoid the need for wiring, between wiring centre and in the case, the stat/timer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back