Loud vibrating noise when using tap, and also randomly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest a cause/solution to this problem?

When the cold kitchen (mains) tap is turned on there is a loud vibrating noise. Sometimes the noise also happens seemingly randomly, but if you turn the kitchen cold water tap on then off it goes away. It also tends to go away on it's own after a few minutes.

I think it may be related to the central heating as it only seems to happen when the heating is on (which explains why it might suddenly happen during the night, as maybe the central heating kicks in).

Having said that, yesterday the heating was off, but the dishwasher was on - and it kept happening several times every few minutes. So perhaps it is when something draws water from the system? Though isn't the central heating water supply separate?

Usually it happens once then the tap trick makes it go away, but with the dishwasher it happened repeatedly, so perhaps it is linked to the amount of water being drawn?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
so you have ruled out basic water hammer and are looking for another explanation?

Nope, I'm not a plumber so I have no idea what that is...
that would have been my first internet search..anyway, its was hammer...look for the videos and remedies on youtube..plenty of them, common problem

Sponsored Links
My tap is vibrating in google returned 16,300,000 results in .37 seconds......

Knackered tap, crappy modern ceramic valve, see loads of them.
If you can accurately ID the tap, just get a repalcement cartridge, if not, you'll have to change the tap.

If you can accurately ID the tap, just get a repalcement cartridge, if not, you'll have to change the tap.
Just out of interest (as I'm trying to learn as I go) why does it vibrate when the tap is not in use, but something else is using water?

Just out of interest (as I'm trying to learn as I go) why does it vibrate when the tap is not in use, but something else is using water?
it's water hammer...the idea of ceramic whatever is just their fantasy

Thanks, it was indeed the tap. Tap replaced and problem disappeared.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back