Mad dogs and Englishmen

Joking apart, it doesn't sit right that the family I referred to when I opened this thread could quite easily go and get a replacement dog tomorrow, and possibly treat it in such a way that it gives a repeat performance (but next time possibly against a child?).

But surely, if as you say their dog has been destroyed, the family themselves could be waiting to go to court. They could/should be banned from owning dogs in the future. If they live in social housing, the local council can impose such a ban, tied in with the threat of eviction.

Sponsored Links
Personally i'd have the law simple.

A dog is dangerous the second time it bites someone. After the second time it bites, the law takes it away. If you dont want it classified as dangerous, make sure it doesnt bite. And if your dog commits violence towards someone, you, the owner, will be personally culpable for assault, GBH, ABH, Manslaughter or Murder, depending on the degree of the violence.

I'd personally have the law even simpler:- First time it bites someone seriously enough to require hospital treatment, the offending animal is taken away.
Some of the horror stories we have read in the press in the last few years have surely shown that some of these animals have been bred specifically because they have these violent traits. Sure they can be nice and apparently placid with their owners, but not with other dogs/ children.
at the end of the day, we do have the dangerous dogs act. Anyone owning a breed that's on this list deserves imprisonment anyway. They must know their dog is on the list when they buy it.

JM, as to your original question 'Is there something wrong with these people?'
Yes. They have no sense of moral resonsibilty, they have an uncaring attitude for the animal as a properly trained/loved animal is a happy one and less likely to become aggressive and finally they see everything they own as a 'status' symbol be it a 4X4, 'designer' clothes or a viciously bred/trained dog. They are self centred egotists who think the rest of society should be in awe of them.
Sounds about right. I have asked my friend who lives opposite them and who told me this charming anecdote for further information. He has pretty much described certain character traits as you have written them (and I've only just read this today and noticed the remarkable similarity in phrases)

Sponsored Links
Back