main he boiler baxi/ previous gloworm and open vented system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we had a new boiler fitted 3 years ago, (well previous people did as we just moved in)

since then (im under the impression since then) we get air in 2 rads upstairs every 2 weeks,

we had the fitter back out who fitted a aerjec that hasnt helped at all,

tbh, i have just got use to bleeding the rads, just annoying as i know this isnt normal,

i rad in the instructions that an air vent (auto) should be fitted above the boiler and below the pump as the current aerject is above the pump (as diagram suggests) ie on instructions it list 2 we only have 1 at present ?

as i am just a diy person, any suggestions on auto air vents? everything i read they all leak. so might be best to live with what we have and put it down to pipe runs. (thats all the plumber suggests)

Ive tested for corrosion and the system as been since drained twice, and added appropriate inhibitor. and clean as a whistle

doesnt seem to be sucking in air from vent pipe either checked that suggestion also

any other suggestions please ??

Sponsored Links
How high is the vent pipe above the expansion tank? it should be at least 450mm above the water line.

Andy

^^ currently its as high as it will go as its touching the rafters, the plumber that fitted the boiler found that it had been in the water a long time (guessing since new) 15 yrs, as he thought this might solve the problem,

sadly didnt, don't know exact measurements, but currently as high as it can be, should i measure it??
thanks

It is not relevant that its "as high as it can be"!

To operate correctly it needs to be at least 450 mm above water level.

The water level( cold ) should only be about 100 mm deep.

The vent pipe should come from the flow pipe on the boiler BEFORE the pump!

It sounds as if yours is wrongly piped!

A photo could help.

Or a proper heating engineer rather than a plumber!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Obviously seriously wrong then.

You have not commented on the connection point.

In a loft the vent pipes can be carried up the roof at an angle to give the required 450 mm gap.

Tony

just measured it its approx 4 inch from the top of water level to the copper pipe?

thanks

are you measuring from the water level to the end of the pipe or to the highest point where it bends down into the tank ?

i measured from the water level to the copper tube as said, the water level is about what you say it should be, the pipe goes up about half a meter and then goes down toward the airing cupboard or boiler direction.

thanks

a so called proper heating engineer (bg) have looked at the issues and they also just wanted to fit an arejec but just charge double the price as my plumber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back