Mains stop cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to shut off water supply to my house... due to a minor leak...

I think I have used too much elbow grease and stop cock handle broke...

Since the stop cock is on my driveway I guess it is my responsibility to change it, which results in me digging out a bigger hole to replace it?
Do I need to get permission from the water company to switch off from the street or is there more efficient way?

Thanks in advance.

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-08 at 17.39.44.jpeg

Sponsored Links
When this happened to me not more than a couple of years ago (I didn't actually break it but couldn't turn it off with reasonable force), they came and fixed it for me, taking the opportunity to make it meter ready. All free of change. They even made a reasonable effort at replacing the brick setts how they were.

If it’s on your boundary, the yes, usually your responsibility to repair. Engage with your water undertaker 1st though, might be able to sort something.

If you are having to change the whole stop cock, how are you going to turn off the supply from outside your boundary?

I think you need to speak to your supplier.

Sponsored Links
I had a water supply company engineer come in.

There was another stop cock outside my boundary the one on my driveway is private one.

Well, what happened to the stop tap in your garden, were you able to open or replace it?

Andy

@HERTS P&D
Water company engineer fully opened it for me.

It is broken but it does not bother me too much, since now I can stop the water from external ( not on my boundary ) stop tap, which works fine.

I will tackle it when I will be redoing the driveway. I don't think I will even need it so I might get rid of it when replacing all the lead.

For now I want to replace part of the lead pipe which is entering the property as it is giving me grief.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back