Maintained Lighting

Sponsored Links
In maintained emergency lighting the emergency lamp is permanently ON.
So what's the name given to the type of lighting which only comes on automatically when the power fails but when the power is present can be turned on and off like any other light?

Sponsored Links
The ones I have are a mixture of neither. They contain 2 lamps.

Power on, switch off - none of them are lit.

Power on, switch on - both of them are lit.

Power off, switch irrelevant - one of them is lit.

The maker (Thorn) describes that behaviour as "maintained".

I have the catalogue here in front of me.

EE3RCH190H226 is in the section headed Emergency versions (3hr maintained) Horizontal.

To quote the web site of Cooper Lighting & Safety:
Maintained Emergency Luminaire
A luminaire containing one or more lamps, all of which operate from the normal supply or from the emergency supply at all material times.

Non-Maintained Emergency Luminaire
A luminaire containing one or more lamps, which operate from the emergency supply only upon failure of the normal mains supply

Combined Emergency Luminaire
A luminaire containing two or more lamps, at least one of which is energised from the emergency supply and the remainder from the normal supply (If the emergency lamp is only illuminated in a mains failure condition this luminaire is regarded for fire authority approval as non-maintained).

Of course, every manufacturer has their own idea of the definitions, so it would be hard to say one person is right and the other wrong.

Maintained luminaires often have a switch live terminal so they can be switched on and off. If they need to be configured to be on all the time a link can be installed between perm L and sw L.

The ones I have are a mixture of neither. They contain 2 lamps.

Power on, switch off - none of them are lit.

Power on, switch on - both of them are lit.

Power off, switch irrelevant - one of them is lit.

The maker (Thorn) describes that behaviour as "maintained".

Sounds similar to a sustained as it has two lamps, however I took sustained to be a single non maintained tube and a normal tube. Not sure if you can class it the same with a maintained tube too.

So with a key/test switch is it possible to install these sensor lights with non-maintained emergency lights feeding off them?

http://www.gx-security.co.uk/steine...Csid=07d1a4f602f33199575e53c893addc61[/QUOTE]

Don't see why not. This would make for an easy install, as you'd simply need L, N and E looped in and out of all fittings, whether they be non-maintained emergency luminaires or occupancy sensing fittings. You could then have a test switch at the supply end which would remove the supply to everything, thus testing the emergency lights.

It would be preferable for the main occupancy sensing lighting not to be on the test switch, but this would mean that you can't utilise the existing wiring alone.

electronicsuk/Matthew - thank you, that's exactly the confirmation I needed. I want to make use of the existing wiring while providing the client with the necessary emergency lighting.

All, judging by the very useful discussion it's not as black and white as one might hope. I have had several debates on the definitions and application of maintained/non-maintained luminaires and this has helped make it a lot clearer.

So I'm very grateful to all of you for your time and advice. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back