Materials list

Sponsored Links
Absolutely unbelievable.

And the scary truth is that it will probably end up being bought by some hapless DIYer with no electrical knowledge whatsoever who will try and knock the whole lot in over the weekend...

Out of anything that came from DIY kit culture, I have never seen something so stupid... The very concept that a one size fits all kit could cover domestic rewires... Plus the fact that if you don't know what you need you shouldn't be doing a rewire... it is beyond belief.

Red & Black conductors.......(what are they?) :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If you need to have someone put together a kit because you aren't sure what should go into your house, then as Zen says, you shouldn't be doing a rewire!

Thankfully no-one has bid for it yet.

Who do you reckon is doing this? Some idiot who has thought "Hey, people will pay for that, nice profit for me!"

Think about it, no outlay: he could just nip down to his local shed or wholesaler and get all the bits if someone bids for it. He doesn't have to have all the kit yet, or paid for it.

This is about as stupid as Wickes selling "gas boiler installation kit", with a label on the back saying "this should only be fitted by a Corgi, so you don't get any instructions"... Right, because that will discourage gimps... STOP SELLING THE F**KING KIT!!! Either that, or put a childproof cap on it. :LOL:

Just had another look and saw something frightening that I didn't see before - this "electrical rewiring kit" includes 100m of co-ax and 100m of telephone cable... Let's just hope and bl**dy pray that it really doesn't get bought by some hapless DIYer who thinks "oh sh*t, I've run out of T&E, let's use that instead........"

Nah, it's not telephone wire, it's "self-fusing cable" ;)

Removes all need for a separate fuse, try to draw more than an amp and it melts.

ZenStalinist said:
Thing that I find strange... It includes 8 MCBs... Of what value??!!!

MCBs suitable for a 3-bedroom house silly! ;)

Haven't you ever seen them? You get them in 3 sizes: 1-bed flat, 3-bed semi and 5-bed detached. No need to worry about those silly old amps... how many amps do you get to a volt again? :p

And why would a DIYer care anyway?? "Oops dear, the cooker circuit keeps tripping - just press the reset button again....."

I just noticed this too:
1 shaver switch

So... perhaps one wires the shaver in permanently and just switches it... Is it supposed to be tidy and more professional looking than having to plug it in using a shaver socket? :D

Here I was worrying about the possibility of the DIYer getting something wrong... Now I realize the seller is not only lacking a sense of ethics and business sense, but doesn't know what the hell he's talking about!

It says they are manufactured by Crabtree and are 'top quality'... Is it a coincidence that Crabtree is held by Electrium, who also own both Wylex and Volex?

More like Oops the cooker circuit is blowing is 6A big enough? Better double up on the coax to be safe.

:eek:
now i'm imagining a shaver dangling from a FCU in the bathroom - with enough cable for it to drop into the sink, obviously....

AdamW said:
Who do you reckon is doing this? Some idiot who has thought "Hey, people will pay for that, nice profit for me!"

Think about it, no outlay: he could just nip down to his local shed or wholesaler and get all the bits if someone bids for it. He doesn't have to have all the kit yet, or paid for it.
If that's the case, he's not an idiot - this is a pretty good moneymaking scheme, if it works. I'd be interested to know, if anybody can easily price that lot up at non-regular-customer-discount prices from Neweys or Edmundsons etc, what profit the guy's making.

Has anybody spotted the items he's missed off the list, BTW?

I did particularly enjoy the "We can also nominate an NICEIC registered installer within your area to give you an installation only price.". What's the betting he just goes to the NICEIC website and pulls off a list of contractors by postcode?

No, no, no, no, no. HE'S the NIC spark, the geezer who is "selling" this stuff.

He is recommending himself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back