Maths assessment on course?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've just got myself booked onto Electrical installation C & G 2330 year 1 to 2 NVQ Level 3 & 2330. They are telling me I have to be Maths assessed first, can anyone tell me what kind of Maths I need to be looking at so I can be really brushed up.

Thanks in advance to all those who reply.

Garry

Sponsored Links
I'm on second year of 2330 and have had to brush up on stuff like algebra, Sin/Cos/Tan, percentages, and generally equations so that you know how to work Ohms law. It is virtually all that was covered in the old 'O' level maths, but I am too old to comment on the new GCSE's

they might be talking about a little numeracy skills test, which they do to see if you have to do "key Skills" ... its just basic percentages (1/4 = 25% = 0.25 ) and being able to extract useful info from text to work out a problem (train leaves at 11.00 13:30 14:00, it takes 1hr to get to London, what time should you get the train to arrive at 14:30) ...stuff like that

basically you need to do key skills (a portfolio and some exams) - maths, ICT and english skills, so that the government will pay for you to go to the college

i believe that if you will be 25yrs old before u pass the 2330 then you/your company will have to pay to put you through college and so you wont need to do key skills, although its advisable to brush up on it all

You need GCSE maths

Sample questions

If I have three apples and I give away one, how many apples do I have?

What is 10% of 100?

Count back from 10 to 1?

Add 3 + 5 in your head whilst walking and chewing gum

:D

Sponsored Links
The only comment I can make to you about the level of maths required is that the older ('O' level takers) in the group are not having the same amount of trouble covering the course as those younger with GCSE's. I do have one of those under my belt that I took in just 12 hours of study and managed to get an AA grade in !!(Computer studies) but dont get me on to that well heeled subject of 'dumbing down' of the examinations standards

Transposition is so basic to algebra and algebra so important to an understanding of mathematics that those who can't transpose are effectively innumerate. That now appears to encompass the majority of school leavers. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back