MCB keeps tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the same problem however i think it is a overload on my down stairs socket last night i had 2 3kw fires on because my boiler has broken down so my question is how do i get the down stairs sockets to take more appliances do i need to run a new ring? I m a total diy er and will not attempt this by the way
Cheers
mancmann

Sponsored Links
If it is a genuine ring circuit it will usually be have a 30A or 32A fuse or MCB. Has it?

A 30A circuit will run two 3kW heaters indefinitely. However if you also have some other appliance such as a washer, drier, dishwasher or oven on the same circuit at the same time it will be overloaded. A kettle or toaster can do it, but is often not on for long enough.

thanks johnd do i need to run a new ring down stairs then to provide me with more options of running more appliances
?

Sponsored Links
I reckon you need to get your boiler mended

If you aren't in a hurry, you could consult a suitably qualified electrician and say you want a separate kitchen/Utility circuit so that your heavy appliances like washer, drier, dishwasher will not be on the downstairs ring; and a separate Cooker circuit. If you do not already have separate upstairs and downstairs rings, get that changed. If you have a 30A fuse your consumer unit and household wiring are probably quite old so you can expect considerable cost in having it updated.

In the meantime you could get some lower power electric heaters and KEEP THE INTERNAL DOORS CLOSED so that you can warm the room you are in without the heat flowing all over the house. A gas boiler may have ten times as much power as an electric heater, so you won't be able to replicate that with electric heaters.

In the days before central heating we had houses that were generally cold, apart from the living room and the kitchen. Your hall and landing and other rooms are going to be cold until you get it fixed. Sorry.

boiler fixed all nice and warm again electric heaters stored away for another day but thanks for the help i will look at my wiring/cu and see whats what

Cheers
Mancmann

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back