mcb / rcbo

Wow six pages - I knew the question would not be a straightforward yes or no answer and have read the replies with interest, well most of them ;) but didn't expect it to cause so much debate.

So my take on this, as a competent, safety concious DIYer is that i'll exercise common sense, safety prioritised approach and get a "approved" electrician in for jobs I don't want to tackle myself. I intend living in this house a very long time, and by the time i come to sell, the regulations will no doubt have changed again.

Incidentally, having purchased this house myself just over a year ago, I had no documentation from the solicitor whatsoever regarding electric certifications. The garden is extensively wired with 240v wiring from the garage, so far as the electrician I hired could make out. Same electrician who missed a deadly earth fault when I pointed him at it. Same electrician who also hadn't heard of Part P (or rather didn't seem to know what i was on about and suggested it was just for landlords - seriously). So its important to get a "proper" electrician or tradesperson in - often very difficult to do.

I had paid him to "make safe" the garden wiring and yet the wiriing is still underground, no voltages showing and seemingly dead, but the source never fully identified. Knowing what I know now, a year later, this is not really a great approach - bury the dead cables (armoured / outdoor ones too).

And no, I didn't get him back.

Anyhow, thanks again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back