MDF quality from B&Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used B&Q MDF many times over the years.
I recently bought a 8 ft x 4 ft sheet of the stuff and the quality of it was to be blunt - rubbish.
I have routed MDF and used a circular saw on it before and the result was reasonable. This latest junk left the prepared edges almost like a felt finish and hand sanding did not improve the surface.
Does any one know if B&Q has changed their supplier to a much cheaper source and has anyone any idea where I can purchase an improved quality of MDF.
I have tried to source HDF but without success, again anyone any idea of a source of HDF?

Sponsored Links
James Latham or Timberworld

If you want a better finish to the cut edge then use MR MDF

One last thing; don’t be ashamed of using sharp tools and sandpaper.

My posting did say I used sandpaper and the prepared edges were still rubbish. Although I didn't say in my posting, the router bit was a New one and an expensive one at that. The probem is poor quality MDF.
Sorry but what is MR MDF ?

Would MR MDF be Moisture Resistant MDF.
If it is where can I get it as I only buy one or two sheets at a time and purchase from Timberworld would be inhibitive due to transportation costs.

Sponsored Links
I must say though my B&Q beat all the prices of my local timber yard when it comes to sheet materials, and convenient with 5 free cuts. Their planed timber is pretty competitive too however there treated timber is not the cheapest. The last sheet of mdf I bought was pretty good quality.

Would MR MDF be Moisture Resistant MDF.

Yes MR is Moisture Resistant.

If Timber world is your local suppler then you have no choice but to use them. But you can save on transport if you are the proud owner of a battery powered circular saw. With a stick of millimetres, a chalk line or strait edge and your trusty battery powered circular saw you will surprised what you can achieve on site.

You may be using a light grade MDF and as in most light weight material the core is less compressed (more open texture).

If you sharpen your hand plane you can achieve very, very acceptable results by planning the edge of MDF.

Grades of MDF

Exterior Grade

Meets the requirements of class D4, durability category, of BS 4965, making it suitable as a substrate for decorative laminated plastics and veneers in areas of frequent prolonged exposure to running or condensed water.

Moisture resistant

Suitable for interior humid conditions and is manufactured in accordance with EN 622, part 5.

Medium density (standard grade)

Light

Ultra light

Thanks a Milliom awbcm,
I am now so much wiser about MDF. I do have table saws etc ets but my problem is not the cutting but the transportation of 8 x 4 sheets of material, they do not fit readily into an XK Jaguar.
Your information is fantastic and and I thank you so much for your time and expertise.

Thanks a Milliom awbcm,
I am now so much wiser about MDF. I do have table saws etc ets but my problem is not the cutting but the transportation of 8 x 4 sheets of material, they do not fit readily into an XK Jaguar.
Your information is fantastic and and I thank you so much for your time and expertise.

That’s why you take a battery powered circular saw etc to the timber yard and roughly cut the 2440 x 1220 sheets to size. It’s the same as getting B&Q to do the rough cutting Yes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back