Mdpe yellow gas pipe buried inside my house can i or cant i

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i have got yellow mdpe pipe 25mm buried in screed inside my house ,running to my fireplace and cooker. i have had 2 gas safe engineers come out to me separately with contradicting advise :

1st guy saying i cannot use this pipe inside my house and suggested to me to push 12mm copper pipe through the mdpe pipe.

2nd guy saying i can use it providing when it comes out above ground i convert it to copper.

can someone please clarify what are the regulations with burying mdpe yellow gas pipe. can i use it under ground or not.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Assuming the garage is at the side of the house you've got mdpe inside running to your fireplace and cooker, is that right wtf.

its a semi detached house . the garage is part of this building ie walk through the kitchen and you will come into the garage then to the front of the house. the meter is in the garage.

So the only way to get to the kitchen is through the garage then?

Is this a Joe-90 conversion of a garage block?

Whatever you shouldn't have mdpe running in your screed.
I was trying to establish that it was going to your meter.
It can't be supplying your cooker and fire, if it enters a building it should be sleeved with a metal fireproof sleeve.
It sounds dodgy enough to be a joe90 job alright.

Replace with Tracpipe, although it's not cheap it is as bendy, if not moreso, than MDPE.

You can not have PVC gas pipe within your house but are you sure it is not factory sheathed copper in your screed sometimes the sheath is white sometimes yellow, if it is factory sheathed copper then you dont have a problem, it is designed to be placed in a screed

yes you will have to replace it you can not have that indoors Im afraid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back