Measuring cold water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My detached house is on a shared water supply which is not very good and variable. I want to install a washing machine which requires a pressure of 0.5bar. I have no cold water tank. How can I measure my water pressure?

Sponsored Links
I think you'll have more than 0.5 bar, but a pressure gauge such as Machine Marts 040511510 is what you need.
This screws directly onto a washing machine tap or an outside bib cock.
John :)

Hi guys! Thank you so much for your prompt replies ..... much appreciated. I'm really impressed.

Sponsored Links
Attach a hose and point it upwards - if the jet gets above 5metres (about 18 to 20 feet, or two floors of your house), then it's above 0.5bar ;) :LOL:

I can confirm this is a good way to test your mains - I have 4 bar ( new house ish) and I can squirt my garden hose 40 Meters in the air........ :rolleyes:

Another rough and ready check - Put your thumb over a tap outlet and turn the tap on. If you can't stop the flow, or you get very wet trying, the water pressure is high enough

Thak you for your various tips. Souwester and galoshes at the ready .....! :rolleyes:

Please stop spamming the forum with silly advice or I will remove you from it.
:rolleyes:

Wind yer neck in, to coin a phrase :rolleyes:

Apart from anything, the maximum height attainable by a water jet is an indication of the head available (think of a basic water level kit involving a hose filled with water - the principle is the same), which is therefore an indication of the available water pressure. So it's not entirely inaccurate and is a damned sight cheaper option for a one off indicator.

What other spam/silly advice are you referring to - my thread regarding concerns over an unsafe boiler service, which you took objection to, or the query regarding running pipework outside, which you also found of some consternation? Neither of which were about advice anyway.

Please stop spamming the forum with silly advice or I will remove you from it.

Did you forget to press the MOD button when you posted?.................. :D ;)
He forgot to review his own posts - apart from some obsession having a dig at me, there are a couple of useful posts in his history over the last month, and the rest are as follows (check his post profile yourselves if you like, I got bored after 5 minutes):
Its forces speak for very hot
You must be wrong, these boilers do not break down, ever.
What does your installer say about this?
Installed loads of both and I'm with the 100 gang. Much more robust.
Don't hijack other peoples, posy your own you lazy get.....
wot a nosher
I'll give you a fiver, if you deliver
Think tony is getting confused......at his age though I'm not suprised
Why don't you do it?
That's handy, man
I'll mate with you in a minute
I'd have to catch him first though, in a benny hill style chase :p

Pearls of wisdom and useful advice for all? Not convinced :confused:
:rolleyes: So it's nice to be criticised by someone with this track record of late :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back