Megaflo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could some spread a bit of light on this for me,

I am looking at getting a Megaflo installed as I like the idea of HP HW ana lots of it!! But does it run the CH and do I need a boiler to run along side it?

Thanks

V

Sponsored Links
it dont run the CH as well as the hot water

so if you want a unvented cylinder to provide hot water only you can get a direct one which works off immersion heaters

if you want hot water AND central heating you will need a boiler

if you fancy electric heated wat and heating have a butchers at the gledhill puslar coil

:)

Thanks Corgiman, let me clarify if I get the gledhill puslar coil I won't need a boiler at all, the HW and CH runs off of electric??

V

Sponsored Links
it dont run the CH as well as the hot water

so if you want a unvented cylinder to provide hot water only you can get a direct one which works off immersion heaters

if you want hot water AND central heating you will need a boiler

Or a heat bank or thermal store heated by a boiler with backup electric immersions. Avoid an unvented cylinder and go for a heat bank.

Unvented cylinder require an annual service and can do this:
http://www.waterheaterblast.com

No need to avoid an unvented cylinder, they're much more widely used than heat banks. They're simpler to install, except that they do need a pipe running to outside, continuously falling. You'll probably pay less for an unvented cylinder than a GOOD heat bank system, installed.
Saying unventeds are dangerous is like saying petrol is dangerous. It isn't a problem. They're well supplied with safety devices, you'd really have to alter one to make it burst.

Our experience is that they don't actually get serviced, and pro rata to the number installed, they're a lot less troublesome than heat banks.

No need to avoid an unvented cylinder,

read what I wrote and look at the link.

they're much more widely used than heat banks.

So was VHS but Betamax was better. Many are fitted out of ignorance or makers give incentives to installers to fit them.

They're simpler to install, except that they do need a pipe running to outside, continuously falling.

They are not simpler to install. Some heat banks don't even need an overflow pipe and may be fitted right in the centre of a house. I know of a Pandora and a Keston with 40 foot of extended plastic flue pipe fitted right in the middle of a house.

The safety controls on unvented cylinders are complex and expensive to replace when they fail. Heat banks are simple.

Vented heat banks are failsafe and no potential explosions

You'll probably pay less for an unvented cylinder than a GOOD heat bank system, installed.

About he same price and heat banks operate generally at higher mains water pressures.

Saying unventeds are dangerous is like saying petrol is dangerous. It isn't a problem. They're well supplied with safety devices, you'd really have to alter one to make it burst.

Over the weekend I saw two cars on fire on the M1. Petrol is dangerous and does go bang and cause fires. Unvented cylinders do occasionally explode, vented heat banks are failsafe

Our experience is that they don't actually get serviced, and pro rata to the number installed, they're a lot less troublesome than heat banks.

Vented Heat banks are:

- service free
- require no annual service.
- no annual service charge (you are charged just to store water)
- are failsafe
- deliver high pressure mains DHW at generally higher pressures than unvented cylinders.
- easier to fit
- can combine the output of a boiler and the energy in the cylinder to deliver high flowrates, which means a smaller cylinder.
- depending on model, will never run out of hot water as when exhausted of heat it reverts to what the boiler will deliver.

I know many that have been in service for decades without a hitch or ever being looked at. Marvelous.

In light of recent child fatalities with systems that were not failsafe, recommending an unvented cylinder over a failsafe superior alternative (thermal store/heat bank) is grossly irresponsible.

In light of recent child fatalities with systems that were not failsafe, recommending an unvented cylinder over a failsafe superior alternative (thermal store/heat bank) is grossly irresponsible.[/b]

Nothing is failsafe, with the right amount of tomfoolery any appliance can be made dangerous. These incidents bear no relevance to unvented cylinders and you shouldn't use the deaths of human beings to help advertise your goods. I say your goods because no-one without a vested interest would be so insistent as to attempt to use totally unconnected human death to their advantage.

No need to avoid an unvented cylinder,

read what I wrote and look at the link.

they're much more widely used than heat banks.

So was VHS but Betamax was better. Many are fitted out of ignorance or makers give incentives to installers to fit them.

They're simpler to install, except that they do need a pipe running to outside, continuously falling.

They are not simpler to install. Some heat banks don't even need an overflow pipe and may be fitted right in the centre of a house. I know of a Pandora and a Keston with 40 foot of extended plastic flue pipe fitted right in the middle of a house.

The safety controls on unvented cylinders are complex and expensive to replace when they fail. Heat banks are simple.

Vented heat banks are failsafe and no potential explosions

You'll probably pay less for an unvented cylinder than a GOOD heat bank system, installed.

About he same price and heat banks operate generally at higher mains water pressures.

Over the weekend I saw two cars on fire on the M1. Petrol is dangerous and does go bang and cause fires. Unvented cylinders do occasionally explode, vented heat banks are failsafe

Vented Heat banks are:

- service free
- require no annual service.
- no annual service charge (you are charged just to store water)
- are failsafe
- deliver high pressure mains DHW at generally higher pressures than unvented cylinders.
- easier to fit
- can combine the output of a boiler and the energy in the cylinder to deliver high flowrates, which means a smaller cylinder.
- depending on model, will never run out of hot water as when exhausted of heat it reverts to what the boiler will deliver.

I know many that have been in service for decades without a hitch or ever being looked at. Marvelous.

In light of recent child fatalities with systems that were not failsafe, recommending an unvented cylinder over a failsafe superior alternative (thermal store/heat bank) is grossly irresponsible.

Back againwith the sensational exploding cylinder. :rolleyes:

In light of recent child fatalities with systems that were not failsafe, recommending an unvented cylinder over a failsafe superior alternative (thermal store/heat bank) is grossly irresponsible.[/b]

Nothing is failsafe, with the right amount of tomfoolery any appliance can be made dangerous.

A vented heat bank is difficult to tomfool around.

These incidents bear no relevance to unvented cylinders and you shouldn't use the deaths of human beings to help advertise your goods. I say your goods because no-one without a vested interest would be so insistent as to attempt to use totally unconnected human death to their advantage.

I sell no goods. The death is connected - it was a common water system that poured scalding water over a baby. My point is failsafe, and unvented cylinders are clearly not failsafe. 6 months ago if I said that a vented plastic cold water tanks/cylinder setup was not failsafe, people would have laughed at me. They still do when I tell them unvented cylinders are not failsafe, and can do a big kaboom - and I give them links showing explosions too. And an annual service charge for the privilege of having such a potential bomb in your house too.

How many explosions have actually happened in peoples homes Dr?

Everything is potentially dangerous, drinking a cuppa is potentiallly dangerous.

I take it from the way you go on and on about unvented cylinders its your opinion that they are intrinsically dangerous, and its not if they are going to explode and kill people but When.

Why do you feel this way?

How many explosions have actually happened in peoples homes Dr?
none
Everything is potentially dangerous, drinking a cuppa is potentiallly dangerous.
speculative rather than quantative

I take it from the way you go on and on about unvented cylinders its your opinion that they are intrinsically dangerous, and its not if they are going to explode and kill people but When.

Why do you feel this way?

because he is a TROLL ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back