Megaflo

But If you are saying that an open vented cylinder and plastic tank are dangerous and we should have stopped installing them before that tragic awful death of that darling child, shouldnt we also stop fitting open vented heat stores, could the unbelievable course of events that killed that baby also happen with them?

On any heating or hot water system within a property?

A vented integrated heat bank has a copper F&E tank that will not crumble. It is obvious that a water system with large plastic tanks that folds when hot is dangerous. We should have stopped fitting the eons ago - we should not have fitted them in the first place. This was predicted - but those making money from it and the hard of thinking (don't we have em here!) would not accept it until there was a death. Well all this was obvious not to you - to people like me it was. As are unvented cylinders.

what if the Expansion pipe gets blocked?

I know its unlikely but so was that terrible occurance

Sponsored Links
But If you are saying that an open vented cylinder and plastic tank are dangerous and we should have stopped installing them before that tragic awful death of that darling child, shouldnt we also stop fitting open vented heat stores, could the unbelievable course of events that killed that baby also happen with them?

On any heating or hot water system within a property?

A vented integrated heat bank has a copper F&E tank that will not crumble. It is obvious that a water system with large plastic tanks that folds when hot is dangerous. We should have stopped fitting the eons ago - we should not have fitted them in the first place. This was predicted - but those making money from it and the hard of thinking (don't we have em here!) would not accept it until there was a death. Well all this was obvious not to you - to people like me it was. As are unvented cylinders.

You should try and gather all the facts before spouting off, the tank failed because it was inadequatly supported, not because the tank was plastic, if you knew where to look for the correct information you may be better informed.http://www.wras.co.uk/PDF_Files/Scalding information note Jan 08.pdf

How public spirited. Especially considering you've no vested interest in selling anything.

Goes against the grain of your money making mentality doesn't it.

Indeed it would seem your only deviation in life is to sit c*** in hand logged onto waterblast dotcom.

You should look at it every day!!!!!

Doctor Drivel how about the factual evidence of an installed unvented cylinder exploding in the UK, as you keep claiming they do this.

Seeing as Doctor Drivel couldnt do it I had a memory of an old post of mine. I had done some research and found where an incident did occur.
Now the question is:- Does 18 miles South East of Portland Bill still count as UK ?

HERE is the relevant information.

I found what I consider to be a balanced opinion on another forum along with a snippet of the immersion heater topic
>> http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/fleur-de-lys.pdf

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/3035606.stm

The explosion on the boat was caused by an
unvented system with no safety features - hardly typical of a normal
domestic installation.
The second reference is far more unnerving. The
combination of a permanently on immersion filling the header tank with
boiling water and that tank being (a) plastic not able to withstand boiling
water and (b) suspended over the bed is the stuff of nightmares! Not nice
:eek:(

--
Bob Mannix

Also I would like to add that this occurred before there was any UK legislation on unvented hot water that restricted work to qualified personnel.

Doctor Drivel is doing a bit of scaremongering but after seeing instances of combis with their PRV pipes stop ended there is a probability that some idiot will one day make one of these babies blow in the UK. Unfortunately it will take this to happen before people will get the message that they must be fitted and maintained correctly.
What I find worrying is that on one of the manufacturers advertising leaflets they show a picture of a guy fitting the expansion vessel in the wrong place.

Santonhownottodoit.jpg

That expansion vessel should be the other side of the combination valve which has a non return valve in it! I took this issue up with Santon and they said :-
"The picture was to prove that the product could fit neatly in a cupboard!"
Smashing ! So a plumber who has lost the instructions but is going by this picture will install it so that the heated water will have nowhere to expand to apart from the PRV and TPR valves. All you need now is one muppet to bypass the stats and another to put a cap end on the drippy things after the weird bit of black plastic gets knocked off. What's the chances of that happening over a ten year period? 20million to one? It will happen but never as frequently as people get knocked down by a bus.

Sponsored Links
Slugbabydotcom, two points regarding the incident you report of an exploding unvented cylinder, one it was on a fishing ship, not a house and secondly, it states that there were no safety devices fitted, the store was not fitted correctly, like you say it would be possible to make a combi explode if the safety devices were blocked, which I have seen a few times my self, anything is dangerous if not installed correctly.

Doctor Drivel is doing a bit of scaremongering

If I said that a child could be scalded to death by a collapsing cold tank that ended up with hot water in it you would of said "Doctor Drivel is doing a bit of scaremongering". Many would have said it can't happen gravity systems are simple and failsafe, but anyone with half a brain and works through the system can see when all fails there will be problems that may result in death. But it has happened a number of times. It was like pouring buckets of scalding water over a child in bed.

I am saying that an unvented cylinder can explode if all fails (we all know that and don't come back saying there are safety devices, bla, bla, bla!) and there has been examples of it. Further I am saying be sensible and fit systems that are failsafe - and these cost no more to fit. Does it need a death to prove it you illogical people?

A gas boiler can explode, a car can explode, an aeroplane can explode, anything has the potential to be dangerous, the scalding incident was aggrevated by poor installation of the cold water storage tank, you say this has happend a number of times, I know of two, the majority of the UK has a tank system, so incidents are low compared to the volume of these systems, your beloved thermal stores are a very small propotion of installations, but have quite a bad name for problems some of which are caused by poor installation, if a unvented cylinder is installed correctly. if a gravity system is installed correctly and if a thermal store is installed correctly they will give many years of safe and reliable service.

Doctor Drivel is doing a bit of scaremongering

If I said that a child could be scalded to death by a collapsing cold tank that ended up with hot water in it you would of said "Doctor Drivel is doing a bit of scaremongering". Many would have said it can't happen gravity systems are simple and failsafe, but anyone with half a brain and works through the system can see when all fails there will be problems that may result in death. But it has happened a number of times. It was like pouring buckets of scalding water over a child in bed.

I am saying that an unvented cylinder can explode if all fails (we all know that and don't come back saying there are safety devices, bla, bla, bla!) and there has been examples of it. Further I am saying be sensible and fit systems that are failsafe - and these cost no more to fit. Does it need a death to prove it you illogical people?

Don't flatter yourself, many people, who actually do the job have attended calls for peeled cylinders and hot water in cold tanks and understand the potential danger the same as with incorrectly fitted and maintained unventeds. It's not your scaremongering it's more about your pathetic attemps to sell your goods on the forum.

I don't think Dr Drivel is trying to sell any products. I am not aware of his company nor any particular affiliation he has with a heat store manufacturer. He seems to like them all, in fact.

I have an unhealthy preoccupation with Kylie Minogue, he seems to fantasise about heat stores.

I don't think Dr Drivel is trying to sell any products. I am not aware of his company nor any particular affiliation he has with a heat store manufacturer. He seems to like them all, in fact.

No neither am I. It's just pure speculation based on his unhealthy interest in all things mains fed apart from unvented cylinders, against which he has launched a one man crusade.

A gas boiler can explode,

When there is an alternative, that costs no more, you install the failsafe system. It is that simple. Anyone who does not is irresponsible and should get out of the industry.

No death is acceptable. Two wrongs do not make a right!

No neither am I. It's just pure speculation based on his unhealthy interest in all things mains fed apart from unvented cylinders, against which he has launched a one man crusade.

I am against poorly installed tank/cylinder systems too. Anything that can lead to potential harm and death.

I like combis in externally fitted cabinets. Very safe!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back