Message to Freddie

Sponsored Links
Well I got a reply from Canon, and it hasn't helped at all to be honest as I am none the wiser..

Mr Franklin

I have passed your enquiry onto our technical department in the US for a resolution of your enquiry as they are able to use your camera serial number to establish what it is actually manufactured from and which series it is part of.

For my part I am unable to help other to state that when Canon originally planned the EOS350D it was designed with a magnesium-alloy body and a Stainless steel chassis. Due to price point concerns it was decided that the magnesium alloy body would make the camera too expensive as an entry level Digital SLR, so this was changed to a high impact ABS body.

Many manuals had already been produced in preparation for the launch, and whilst these were recalled, it is known that some made it into packaged units. It is possible yours is one of these units, however that would mean your camera had been in the retail outlet for some considerable time before being sold.

To cloud this issue further, there were a number (3500) units produced with magnesium alloy bodies which were supplied to US Police Departments, the US Military and Justice Department. It is possible that some of these units found their way into retail outlets.

I am sorry I am unable to supply a definitive answer, but the Technical Department will be able to answer your question with the supplied serial number. They should contact you within the next 72 hours.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Mick Alenby
Canon UK Customer Services

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 25 November 2005 19:05
To: Custmer Services
Subject: What is my EOS350D made from??

Hi,

I wonder if you can help me. I bought a EOS 350D in Atlanta in August 2004 and I have a problem with what the camera is made from. This follows a discussion with others on a forum. My Manual states that the camera is made from a Magnesium Alloy body covered with ABS plastic and a stainless steel chassis..however all the information on the web and from other sources states that the 350D does not have any magnesium alloy in it's construction?

Can you please clarify this situation and allow me to put put an end to a debate that has been going on for months..

For Reference the camera serial Number is: (removed for security)
Colour of Body: Canon Black
Place of Purchase: Atlanta Photographic Supplies (Canon Service Centre): Atlanta: USA
Date of Purchase: 12 August 2004 (Scan of reciept enclosed as attachment)

Thanks for your help in this matter

Regards

James Franklin
Address removed from Sig
Home: 01245 ****** (Phone/Fax)
Mobile: 07946 ******

Perhaps you now see my problem!! Hopefully the tech boys can unciver the reality and cler this up so that Freddie and I can stop banging on about it.. :confused:

I missed this exciting set of exchanges but I am interested in the camera in question as I would like to buy one for my daughter for christmas, where's the best place to buy one and how much should I pay? I got her a canon film camera for her birthday along with lenses and would like to get the digital body only to go with it.

Richardp said:
I missed this exciting set of exchanges but I am interested in the camera in question as I would like to buy one for my daughter for christmas, where's the best place to buy one and how much should I pay? I got her a canon film camera for her birthday along with lenses and would like to get the digital body only to go with it.

Allo Richard where you been?? :)

Sponsored Links
Brightspark it looks like i owe you a big appology ( again ) as i said before this was the camera i was going to buy and it was only when the spec was put on that thread that i decided otherwise and went for the 20d.

That spec stated a plastic body and i checked many times on other forums and it aslways gave a plastic body.

It seems by the letter you have that some cameras may have been made with a metal body and it is possible that you have one

I take it back about you b*********g and lieing on this camera which is what i thought :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Happy days are here again, Happy days are here again oh happy days are here again....etc etc :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Freddie said:
Brightspark it looks like i owe you a big appology ( again ) as i said before this was the camera i was going to buy and it was only when the spec was put on that thread that i decided otherwise and went for the 20d.

That spec stated a plastic body and i checked many times on other forums and it aslways gave a plastic body.

It seems by the letter you have that some cameras may have been made with a metal body and it is possible that you have one

I take it back about you b*********g and lieing on this camera which is what i thought

Freddie, thanks for the apology, however I was not really looking for one, I simply wanted an end to the silly comments that did nothing for You, I or the forum as a whole..we disagree about enough as it is.. :D

For me the question still isn't answered, I still do not know if mine has a mag-alloy body..which means that I could well have still posted incorrect information..albeit unintentionally..I had forgotten about this until we started this a few days ago..now I'm like a dog with a bone (Please..I saw that comment coming :D)

Hopefully the Tech Guys can settle this question so we all know the true picture...

Yes we will see what develops :LOL: dont blame me he started it :LOL:

jbonding said:
PHYSICAL
SPECIFICATIONS
Body Materials Stainless Steel/Plastic
Operating
Environment 0 – 40°C, 85% or less humidity
Dimensions
(WxHxD) 126.5 x 94.2 x 64mm
Weight (body only) Approx. 485g
1, it says this.

Here is an exploded dwg of the EOS350D body .... and related materials.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS350D/page4.asp

Here is the Canon site spec.... Materials at foot of page.
http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_350C/index.asp?specs=1

Of course in the case ;) of my diddy little Olympus C5050 Zoom ..The entire body is made from a magnesium alloy (apart from the compartment doors, inner lens barrel and LCD frame). Blimey I thought all informed camera buffs would deffo have mag alloy..

BTW it may as well be made of concrete for all I care .. Slips in the rocket .. Takes better shots than I .... :D :D

Ahem just one slight problem Brightspark which i think you ought to check out.

You say you bought the camera in Atlanta August 04---well i just asked on an American Canon website and apparently they are adament it never had a metal body and even more adament that it never came on sale there untill March this year 2005 as some of these people bought the first ones, infact they remarked that you are " pulling my chain ".

Do you think you could put your reciept on here so i can take a copy and post it on that forum to prove what you are saying?

Freddie stop now.. I am asking you for the good of the site, and the fun we have here.
Leave it there old son.
:cool:

empip said:
Freddie stop now.. I am asking you for the good of the site, and the fun we have here.
Leave it there old son.
:cool:
:cool: ok i'm out

My Sony Vaio portable music player has a full mag body (apart from the screen and buttons)... Actually looks like a metal-effect plastic until you touch it and it feels cold!

Here is a camera tip I learned whilst working as a photographer's assistant way back: When you buy your new camera, take a roll of gaffa tape and apply bits of tape to the body at random (making sure you can still see the buttons and labels of course!)

Why would you do this to a gorgeous, brand new camera? Theft. It makes the new camera instantly look like a piece of poo that has been dropped, stood on and kicked about for a couple of years. Worthless to a thief. :LOL:

You could probably apply it to cars too, but I'm not sure that deliberately knocking a few dents into a new porsche is going to take on ;)

Sponsored Links
Back