Messy paint edges around doorframes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok- going to attempt to attach a photo!!!

I've been using tape to get nice straight edges alongside my door frames and skirting boards.

The skirting boards look great, really professional. However the door frames are a total mess! :(

I have major wonky lines, parts where the paint has bled under the tape and parts where the tape has ripped the paint off the wall next to it! It looks really awful! I could prob have done it better freehand- couldn't have looked much worse! :(

So my question is.... What can i do to fix this? The frames i've done have been satin topcoated- they need another coat, but if i try to straighten the lines out freehand i'm worried i'll end up halfway accross the wall!

Any help/tips much appreciated as always! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 212
Sponsored Links
There's no substitute for experience when it comes to good cutting in freehand.

However, yellow frog tape is quite good.

The tape is low tack and shouldn't pull the paint off the wall.

And paint shouldn't bleed through the tape.

Any gaps should be filled with decorators caulk. It's easy to apply as it can be smoothed off with a wet finger. Remove any excess with a damp cloth - get it off before it dries - it's not sandable.

If you use the frog tape, practise your cutting in by trying to avoid getting too much paint on the tape.

There's no substitute for experience when it comes to good cutting in freehand.

However, yellow frog tape is quite good.

The tape is low tack and shouldn't pull the paint off the wall.

And paint shouldn't bleed through the tape.

Any gaps should be filled with decorators caulk. It's easy to apply as it can be smoothed off with a wet finger. Remove any excess with a damp cloth - get it off before it dries - it's not sandable.

If you use the frog tape, practise your cutting in by trying to avoid getting too much paint on the tape.

Thanks for the reply! :)

I had already caulked the edges/gaps- tho i seemed to end up with more of it in my mouth from licking my finger in a panic, than in the gaps! - i know, i'm the worst diy-er ever!

So what do you think i should do to try and fix this? Re-tape and try to paint over my mistake- maybe by making the edges wider?

This is my first house and my only (ever!) attempt at diy, so i'm kind of learning as i go! Eek!!! :)

Sponsored Links
Use a tub of water when caulking!

You just need the paint join where the wood meets the plaster.

I suppose it's better if the wood paint is slightly over the wall; rather than the wall paint slightly over the wood.

But's that's getting technical.

You'll probably have to touch up any wall paint, let than dry, yellow frogtape on wall, paint wood frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back