Microborechased into walls for central heatin system -Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have just had CH installed and the microbore copper pipe work has been chased into the walls from the upstairs down to the lounge and kitchen.

On testing the system today the walls got extremely warm, does this mean that there is a possibility that they were not trunked or insulated properly and just stuck in and plastered over??

If so what problems could this cause apart from expansion and cracking and tapping a nail in causing a leak!!!!

Are there regulations on insulating pipes that are chased into the walls?

Also i have read that microbore is a bugger for sediment build up, therefore how often is it recommed to put a product in to reduce this build up? And what product is best? Sentinel??

Sorry i am paniking, please help!!!!

Sponsored Links
bad luck
micro bore has its attractions, its easy to bend and cheap.
it has its disadvantages, small bore does mean that heat/ water does not move as quickly, pipes do clog up if untreated
pipes in wall require no insulation or trunking wall may expand and contract you may hit them with a nail if close to the surface you will feel heat from them on wall
make sure the new paipwork is 'cleansed immediatley with a proper cleaner fernox/ sentinel left for a couple of days drained then add an inhibitor again fernox or sentinel then drain add sludge remover run for a fortnight then drain and refresh with inhibitor annually

it would be nice if the pipes within the wall were plastic coated, wrapped in denso or similarly protected against any external corrosion.

make sure the new paipwork is 'cleansed immediatley with a proper cleaner fernox/ sentinel left for a couple of days drained then add an inhibitor again fernox or sentinel then drain add sludge remover run for a fortnight then drain and refresh with inhibitor annually

Please dont take any advice from this posting!

Better to employ a proper professional who can be trusted to do whats correct.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would be suprised if it wasn't sheathed with a metal strip. Were you not there when it was installed? Ask your installer, if still unsure cut out a peice of plaster and check. If it's a new install then i doubt it is sludged up or needs cleaning! Yes it needs to be inhibited but again this should have been done by the installer. In fact MI usually stipulate cleaning of old pipework/rads and inhibiting system. Check first with installer as you maybe panicking for nothing.....the alternative was wall mounting and i guess you didn't want visible pipework.......

Heating Pipes move. If they have no room and they're close to the surface, expect the plaster to crack and fall off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back