Mira 8 Electric Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone...

Our ancient Mira 8 electric shower has developed a fault...

The shower itself is working fine, and does the job, but today I noticed it was starting to leak/drip from the control box.

Doesn't happen when the water is off, but begins shortly after it is turned on, whether the power is on or not.

I've removed the front panel and found the leak to be coming from the front of the water supply control, at the join between the beige coloured part (with four screwheads) to the black portion where the water supply enters the unit

Is this just a washer issue that I will be able to sort, or am I looking at a new shower...???

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Might be able to repair it with o ring, overhaul. But you be better off with a nice new shower as it look old.

Have a look in showerdoc.com

Daniel.

As said you can try yourself replacing the o ring.
But as for spares they are obsolete for this model, this model ran from 88 to 92.

Thanks guys...

I've just dismantled the valve and both O-rings are flattended and sticky...obviously perished.

Shame I can't obtain replacements as the shower itself still functions...:(

Dougie.

Sponsored Links
Having accepted I'm going to go for a new shower, I've discovered that the electric power supply switch, which is on the outside of the bathroom, has damaged plastic on the inside (possibly just an age relkated thing as it will be of a similar vintage to the shower.

It is a Volex 45 amp, double pole switch with neon light.

What I found though, is that the power supply cable was wired to the "Out" pole and vice versa for the cable running to the shower....is this OK...or should it be other way around...???

Should be other way around. The neon would be on all the time.

Cable from consumer unit to shower switch live into "live supply" or " live in " and neutral into "neutral supply" or " neutral in".

Cable from electric shower to shower switch live into " live load " or " live out " and neutral into " neutral load " or " neutral out "

Have a word in "Electric Forum" :) for more info.

Daniel.

Should be other way around. The neon would be on all the time.

Cable from consumer unit to shower switch live into "live supply" or " live in " and neutral into "neutral supply" or " neutral in".

Cable from electric shower to shower switch live into " live load " or " live out " and neutral into " neutral load " or " neutral out "

Have a word in "Electric Forum" :) for more info.

Daniel.

Thanks Daniel...it's deffo the other way around on my switch....

The Neon light illuminates only when the switch is turned on.

Dougie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back