Mis- firing Vokera Excel 80SP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vokera Excel 80 SP(10 years old) which is playing up, when drawing hot water the boiler seems to cut out intermittently, so when you are in the shower you keep getting cold water coming through. (shower is a mira excel mixer) this problem also occurs when drawing water through taps. Helpful local plumber says it's time for a new boiler but I'm sceptical! Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Quite possibly just sludge in the boiler - clearable, and after 10years, not too surprising. If it's in the CH generally you'll still have to clear it even if you do fall for the "need a new boiler" line.

It is getting towards the end of its useful life.

However, even my current trainee would be able to suggest what the fault is and would tell you that its quite easy to fix if you are CORGI registered.

Problem is fixing it is about £84 at our London prices and fitting a new boiler is £300-£700 ( plus boiler! ). So there is a vested interest involved in NOT fixing it.

Tony

I once visited one of these with a similar problem. Removed the fan and gave it a thorough clean. Problem solved. It may or may not work in your case but it's worth a try.

Sponsored Links
Since the fan is part of the "gas train" the CORGI view is that it should only be worked on by a registered person.

For this reason, I would never suggest that an unregistered person did this. I could be held legally liable for encouraging someone to do something he is not competent to do.

Tony

Good job you didn't tell him then Tony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back