MK (old ) 5A MCB needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help with an 5A MK mcb (type b), if you have one or know where I can find one. Tried the retrofit kit with a 6A MCB, does not look good. can be a used one as long it is not damaged.
Albert

Sponsored Links
what was the problem with the retrofit kit

i belive you have to cut off the end of the busbar and place the new mcbs beyond all existing ones with the new piece of busbar

then they supply a cable for linking the bars

plugwash said:
what was the problem with the retrofit kit

i belive you have to cut off the end of the busbar and place the new mcbs beyond all existing ones with the new piece of busbar

then they supply a cable for linking the bars

It seems that the new 6A MCB is not compatible with the back rail of the CU, the slot of the MCB is too wide for the CU rail.
1) it is not very stable.
2) There is not enough space is the front of the CU (where the cover is, where you can see the MCB's), and it it sticks out, the cover is not flash as it was originally.
The electrical connection was easy, the problem as you can see was to attache it to its place.
By the way is it acceptable to shorten the cable that comes with the retrofit kit if it is too long?

Albert

Have you locked the mcb onto the rail, mate?

At the bottom of the new mcb is a black plastic piece. If you locate the mcb onto the rail and push this up with a driver, it will snap into place, locking the mcb onto the rail, then the only movement you have to worry about is left to right.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Albert

Have you locked the mcb onto the rail, mate?

At the bottom of the new mcb is a black plastic piece. If you locate the mcb onto the rail and push this up with a driver, it will snap into place, locking the mcb onto the rail, then the only movement you have to worry about is left to right.
Yes I did , and repeated several times to make sure that it's ok.

Oh, I'm stumped now, as I did exactly what you have done to a similar age of board, and I didn't have any fitting difficulties. Can you post some piccys??

The cable is best kept as is, but if you can attach it to the furthest point from the new mcb position, this helps.

securespark said:
Oh, I'm stumped now, as I did exactly what you have done to a similar age of board, and I didn't have any fitting difficulties. Can you post some piccys??
The cable is best kept as is, but if you can attach it to the furthest point from the new mcb position, this helps.
This what makes life interesting... ;)
I will have to get a pic. in the coming days as this CU is in my 'inlaws'. Just to make it clear; the MCB sits in, does not fall out but it is not firm as the other ones. it moves in the direction left and right. I installed it last on the line of the MCB's, so to use the all length of the cable but the cable was still too long. had problems to replace the front cover (was very tight).
It is possible that my description of the CU is not what it is, I'll check again.
till than, thanks
Albert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back