Modifications and insurance

No. I am telling you exactly like it was. The crowbar was the last resort. Although, it didn't help it was my first ever car DIY. Youtube wasn't a thing for me at the time. Even if it was, there would not have been any videos about it. On hindsight, a putty knife and lots of patience would have done it. I had the putty knife but patience wasn't a thing for me then.

...and this is the bloke who would have us believe he was "at one" with things mechanical... :rolleyes:

So far, we've got:

*Oil change every 10 years, whether it needs it or not;
*Using a crowbar to break the seal between a gasket and its mating face;
*being so utterly incapable of determining suitable structural part to position a jack under, that he resort to jacking on a brake disc...

Sponsored Links
Superglue on a valve cover...
Crowbar to remove it...
Jacking the car from brake disc...
A service every 10 years...
All mechanics around the world got it all wrong.

Ah, sorry - I see you got there first!

Yes, it's quite a CV isn't it?;)

Insurers can be pretty hypocritical. They'll happily give you a reduction in premium for a non-genuine aftermarket alarm / immobiliser. As others have said, they won't load your premium for a towbar, even if the car manufacturer doesn't make towbars / roof bars, and you have no alternative but to buy non-original. By the time I've bought a car that is 10 years old, I won't have any way of knowing whether original equipment was a Philips or an Osram headlight bulb, and as far as I'm concerned, if the replacement bulb has an E-mark showing it meets the legal requirements for a headlamp bulb, it's bloody well getting fitted and I'll see my insurers in court if push comes to shove!

In any case, if a non-genuine part fails and there's a significant claim, the insurers tend to go after the manufacturer (or importer) of the non-genuine part, not the vehicle's driver.

With the number of accidents that have happened over the years. If the insurers had a get out clause by saying those plugs, brake pads, bulbs, shock absorbers, tyres, cv joints, wiper blades are not as original and we are not paying out, then we would all have known by now.

If they said, it's got different type (size and value) of wheels, bigger brakes, bigger engine etc then it would be expected

Sponsored Links
...and this is the bloke who would have us believe he was "at one" with things mechanical... :rolleyes:

So far, we've got:

*Oil change every 10 years, whether it needs it or not;
*Using a crowbar to break the seal between a gasket and its mating face;
*being so utterly incapable of determining suitable structural part to position a jack under, that he resort to jacking on a brake disc...
You struggle with basic truths and rely on pure wishful thinking.

I have proven right in front of people more or less in real time my determination of 4x UNIVERSAL jack points that are EXTRA structural.

I am completely at one with physics and car. But, we all have to start some where. Some minor beginner mistakes are part of the learning process. Despite the crowbar, nothing was damaged but some bent/compressed plastic that was specifically designed as a trap. It doesn't matter, new plastic is on boat from china for £50. Dealer carp is £500.

Even with a possible air leak in the cover, I remain at one with the 19 year old motor:

emissions.png

I have proven right in front of people more or less in real time my determination of 4x UNIVERSAL jack points that are EXTRA structural.

I am completely at one with physics and car. But, we all have to start some where. Some minor beginner mistakes are part of the learning process. Despite the crowbar, nothing was damaged but some bent/compressed plastic that was specifically designed as a trap. It doesn't matter, new plastic is on boat from china for £50. Dealer carp is £500.

Even with a possible air leak in the cover, I remain at one with the 19 year old motor:

View attachment 326122

OK, Glasshopper ;)

Coming from the guy who is famous for spreading untruths in the EV thread, that's quite rich! :LOL:

As for the "wishful thinking, perhaps you'd care to give an example?

Mercifully, that thread got pulled after the mods (quite sensibly, in my view), decided that they didn't want to be responsible for anyone stumbling across it and thinking it was a good idea. I didn't get to see the last few posts, so when I last saw it, you'd been lucky enough to lift one corner a short distance before your jack ran out of travel, so you were off to find something even more unstable to balance it on. Did things get better after that?

I am completely at one with physics and car. But, we all have to start some where.

Nothing that you've ever posted, has led me to believe you have the slightest grasp of physics.

Some minor beginner mistakes are part of the learning process.

They are, but it takes a special kind of "stupid" to seek advice on a forum full of quite knowledgeable people, and then go and make the mistakes anyway!:D

Despite the crowbar, nothing was damaged but some bent/compressed plastic that was specifically designed as a trap.

Ah... What NutJob thread would be complete without a ludicrous conspiracy theory, in a laughably transparent attempt to cover up your own ineptitude, eh? :LOL: Strange, really, for one who "understand the physics" and is "at one with the car", that you can't give this bit of a car its proper name, or understand its true purpose...

It doesn't matter, new plastic is on boat from china for £50. Dealer carp is £500.

View attachment 326122

Do you even know what those numbers actually mean? Are you posting them as some sort of endorsement of your mechanical skills? Which of them would you expect to change as a result of the damage you caused with your mechanical ineptitude, and by how much?

Coming from the guy who is famous for spreading untruths in the EV thread, that's quite rich! :LOL:

As for the "wishful thinking, perhaps you'd care to give an example?

Mercifully, that thread got pulled after the mods (quite sensibly, in my view), decided that they didn't want to be responsible for anyone stumbling across it and thinking it was a good idea. I didn't get to see the last few posts, so when I last saw it, you'd been lucky enough to lift one corner a short distance before your jack ran out of travel, so you were off to find something even more unstable to balance it on. Did things get better after that?

Nothing that you've ever posted, has led me to believe you have the slightest grasp of physics.

They are, but it takes a special kind of "stupid" to seek advice on a forum full of quite knowledgeable people, and then go and make the mistakes anyway!:D

Ah... What NutJob thread would be complete without a ludicrous conspiracy theory, in a laughably transparent attempt to cover up your own ineptitude, eh? :LOL: Strange, really, for one who "understand the physics" and is "at one with the car", that you can't give this bit of a car its proper name, or understand its true purpose...

Do you even know what those numbers actually mean? Are you posting them as some sort of endorsement of your mechanical skills? Which of them would you expect to change as a result of the damage you caused with your mechanical ineptitude, and by how much?

Too many words, when "idiot" and "troll" would more than suffice (y)

Nope. You were with me until the very end. As you thought it took luck, what happened when you tried, did it fall?

No I wasn't. Don't tell lies. It was one of my earliest posts in that thread, in fact.

When I tried it (which I also explained in one of my posts on the thread :rolleyes: ), the intention wasn't to lift the car, it was to compress the suspension on that corner a little, to get an anti roll bar droplink into position. It did what I wanted it to do, but was, of course, risky. I could see the disc trying to rotate. Had I tried to lift the car on it, it would almost certainly have done so, and flicked the jack pad out from under it - but I'm not that stupid, so I didn't...

Last edited:
No I wasn't. Don't tell lies. It was one of my earliest posts in that thread, in fact.

When I tried it (which I also explained in one of my posts on the thread :rolleyes: ), the intention wasn't to lift the car, it was to compress the suspension on that corner a little, to get an anti roll bar droplink into position. It did what I wanted it to do, but was, of course, risky. I could see the disc trying to rotate. Had I tried to lift the car on it, it would almost certainly have done so, and flicked the jack pad out from under it - but I'm not that stopid, so I didnt...
I didn't think you did. For positioning, we have all done it. For lifting, there was only one. Things are easier when you are at one with geometry, physics, etc.

Sponsored Links
Back