Modifications and insurance

All mechanics around the world got it all wrong.
If you say so. I don't have much contact with mechanics to know. Those that I did contact, they gave me a feeling I need to run away.

A service every 10 years...
Not quite right. I don't service at all. I change engine oil once 15k miles. If 10 years coincide with it then OK. I go for lifetime use for all other oils. The brake oil change depends on moisture content . If the china probe says 3% water and go red, I'll change. I am not a heavy brake user.

Superglue on a valve cover...
I used china red (actually orange) RTV on the plastic side of the cover. I verified yesterday it was effective. Next I might try the metal side. I will have this leak sorted one way or another. The oil puddle on my splash shield is p*ssing me off.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you say so. I don't have much contact with mechanics to know. Those that I did contact, they gave me a feeling I need to run away.

Not quite right. I don't service at all. I change engine oil once 15k miles. If 10 years coincide with it then OK. I go for lifetime use for all other oils. The brake oil change depends on moisture content . If the china probe says 3% water and go red, I'll change. I am not a heavy brake user.

I used china red (actually orange) RTV on the plastic side of the cover. I verified yesterday it was effective. Next I might try the metal side. I will have this leak sorted one way or another. The oil puddle on my splash shield is p*ssing me off.
You will be when you jack the vehicle on the disc!

Sponsored Links
I can't imagine for one minute car insurance companies would quibble about non OE parts being used in servicing. If they did, that would mean the best majority of vehicles on the road would be affected. What about vehicles whose manufacturers no longer exist?

I have known insurance companies use pattern parts in repairs.

I can't imagine for one minute car insurance companies would quibble about non OE parts being used in servicing. If they did, that would mean the best majority of vehicles on the road would be affected. What about vehicles whose manufacturers no longer exist?

Agree.

The difference is between servicing and repairs versus performance and value/risk altering modifications.

It's not rocket science

Agree.

The difference is between servicing and repairs versus performance and value/risk altering modifications.

It's not rocket science
Thank you!
Finally a bit of sanity in yet another nonsensical thread.

I can't imagine for one minute car insurance companies would quibble about non OE parts being used in servicing
If the non-OE part fails, do you think they would be right to quibble? The terms are in black and white. They don't quibble is just your luck. Eventually, your luck could run out.

If the non-OE part fails, do you think they would be right to quibble? The terms are in black and white. They don't quibble is just your luck. Eventually, your luck could run out.
Where the **** does it say that you must use oe parts for maintenance and repairs???
Even manufacturers had to back up when some smartass sued them for having declined a warranty claim because service parts where not oe and not fitted by main dealer (parts were oem and fitted by an independent garage).
As you're always asking for proof, even for people's opinions, now it's your turn.
Let's see where in your insurance t&c it says that oem service and repair parts are classed as modifications.

Where the **** does it say that you must use oe parts for maintenance and repairs???
Even manufacturers had to back up when some smartass sued them for having declined a warranty claim because service parts where not oe and not fitted by main dealer (parts were oem and fitted by an independent garage).
As you're always asking for proof, even for people's opinions, now it's your turn.
Let's see where in your insurance t&c it says that oem service and repair parts are classed as modifications.
No point showing you anything. You have blurry vision, and a bad temper.

You either don't understand or your just want to troll.

Which is it ? 1 you can be helped with. The other just gets you laughed at

I occasionally wonder what certain people did before the internet gave them a mouthpiece; your friends and workmates would quickly ignore you. I always assume they must have one of those jobs where you have to be nice to them while they spout complete ****e - Building Control Office, Traffic Warden, MOT tester (present company excepted) etc. Had my car in this week and if the bloke had told me the earth was flat I'd have been busy agreeing and telling him that I'd never been past the Isle of Wight for fear of falling off.

Funny way to ignore people on the internet. You go to their thread and ignore them.

I'm not your friend or workmate. I'm not ignoring you....

Sponsored Links
Back