More Weird Stuff From Amazon

Not every home has a table light or are electrical savvy, in the event of a lighting fault,that would get you by to the next day or longer if needbe, till an engineer comes, small and convenient to store.
Assuming its made well the principal seems ok, would suggest using a cool running lamp in it though,or preferably made with a built in led
Version 2 will have a built in Usb socket

Sponsored Links
Hi Securespark, how did you get on selling your electrical stuff on ebay in the end, was it productive

In the main, yes, thanks.

Some stuff went for less than I expected. A few things went for more.

I still have a couple of items for sale that nobody seems interested in, like 1,600 yellow wall plugs for £8 including postage.

The cable I weighed in and got £100 for.

Do you really not see that?
No, I don't. In my bedroom I have three similar 'table lamps' - two are bedside lamps, with leads probably not much longer than 30cm. The third, on a dressing table, has a 2m-3m cable. Are you saying that the latter is fine, but the first two are "lethal" and, if so, why?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It goes without saying that any touchable light (too confusing if I say "lamp"!) potentially has "exposed live parts" if one removes the bulb/lamp, and I don't see how that alters according to how far the lampholder is from the socket which is supplying it - whether they are in a child's bedroom or anywhere else.
Do you really not see that?
I don't either.

What John said was what I was minded to say as soon as I saw your original comment.

Those things on Amazon have short semi-flexible 'necks'. What height are most of the socket-outlets in most houses? How high is a small child?
I'm concerned that small children could and would remove the lamp and poke fingers into the lamp holder. Yes, they could do the same with any table lamp, but table lamps are usually out of reach, often on a table.
I suppose that Darwinian principles suggest that any parent who s allows its child to play with electrical appliances should not be allowed to contribute to the gene pool, but that seems a little harsh on the child.

Those things on Amazon have short semi-flexible 'necks'. What height are most of the socket-outlets in most houses? How high is a small child?
I doubt that such things would often be used plugged into 'low level' sockets. However .....
I'm concerned that small children could and would remove the lamp and poke fingers into the lamp holder. Yes, they could do the same with any table lamp, but table lamps are usually out of reach, often on a table.
I think I'm back to having to ask you whether you regard most/all bedside table lamps as being "lethal" - since it now seems that it's not the proximity to the socket, but, rather, the 'accessibility' of the lamp which you are concerned about? Any toddler could easily climb onto the bed (or onto a chair to get at the one on my dressing table) and have as easy access to the bulb/lamp and its holder as they would have if it was something 'short' plugged into a low-level socket.

Kind Regards, John

I doubt that such things would often be used plugged into 'low level' sockets.
That's the only kind of socket in many (if not most) homes.
it now seems that it's not the proximity to the socket, but, rather, the 'accessibility' of the lamp which you are concerned about
The two are directly linked are they not?
Any toddler could easily climb onto the bed (or onto a chair to get at the one on my dressing table) and have as easy access to the bulb/lamp and its holder as they would have if it was something 'short' plugged into a low-level socket.
So, for a toddler, climbing onto a bed is as easy as not climbing onto a bed?:confused:

Should it not be the responsibility of parents to avoid buying items which could damage their children?

Do child-free homes have to be equipped the same as a nursery school?

That's the only kind of socket in many (if not most) homes.
Probably - but those with only 'low-level' sockets probably wouldn't often use/buy those sort of products. However, I accept that they might, but that was not the point I was making
The two are directly linked are they not?
Not necessarily all that much. My bedside lamp leads are very short because they are plugged into 'high level' sockets. Those who are happy with 'low level lights' (and who hence might buy the products we are discussing, might have lamps sitting on the floor with long leads. In my bedroom, the most potentially dangerous lamp for an unsupervised toddler is probably the one on the dressing table with a long lead - one yank on the lead and it would be on the floor, quite possible with a broken bulb exposing (if it had been 'on') live parts without a need to remove the bulb/lamp. In contrast (ironically in terms of your argument), the very-short-leaded ones by my bed would not fall very far even if a toddler managed to yank the cable.
So, for a toddler, climbing onto a bed is as easy as not climbing onto a bed?:confused:
Given something to climb on/onto, most toddlers I've met would probably do that in preference to staying on the floor!

I also suspect that a goodly number of small-ish children have table lamps sitting on their bedside tables - so they will have already climbed onto their beds at bed-time!.

Kind Regards, John

Should it not be the responsibility of parents to avoid buying items which could damage their children?
If I believed that, my house would probably have been pretty empty (knives and other sharp things, tools, pencils/pencil they could stick in their eyes (or siblings), household chemicals, medicines, anything heavy, anything made out of glass or china, any sources of heat or fire etc. etc. etc. etc.) :)

We have to buy and possess any number of things that are potentially dangerous to children and other vulnerable groups. They need to be made inaccessible to children as far as is possible, but when that is not possible (as, I would say, is the case with many table lights etc.), the answer has to be supervision.

Kind Regards, John

I have read posts, but I missed bit where it states the pins are not the safety type. And even if not safety type how with bulb fitted it is dangerous. OK without a bulb yes one could touch pins of non safety type, however why would it be plugged in if it has no bulb?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have read posts, but I missed bit where it states the pins are not the safety type. And even if not safety type how with bulb fitted it is dangerous. OK without a bulb yes one could touch pins of non safety type, however why would it be plugged in if it has no bulb?
I agree. Howver, stillp's concern was that if the lamp were accessible to children (which, as I've said, hasn't necessarily got anything to do with the distance from socket to the lamp), they might remove the bulb/lamp (remove the lamp from the lamp? :) ) and stuff their fingers in ....
I'm concerned that small children could and would remove the lamp and poke fingers into the lamp holder.

Kind Regards, John

I have read posts, but I missed bit where it states the pins are not the safety type.
screenshot_1112.jpg

:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back