Morphy Richards kettle leaking.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a strange one in that it doesn't leak all the time, and won't leak when you try and make it leak!
Got hold if some little triangular bits to take the bottom off, but I'm none the wiser... Filled up and left sitting - no leak visible...

Anyone come across this one before?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Pics....

Attachments

• PXL_20240416_193404724.jpg
    PXL_20240416_193404724.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 17132962935482030844336566989422.jpg
    17132962935482030844336566989422.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 29
Does the leak only occur when the kettle is particularly full, or after a vigorous boil?
There seems to be evidence of corrosion around the base, and particularly around the thermostat - the kettle has a steam tube connected to the top rim, that leads down to the thermostat disc. There should be a rubber seal at the base of this tube - if it is dirty, or deteriorated, the leak could be coming from steam escaping from the bottom of this tube.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If overfilled, I believe water can boil into the steam tube when heated.

Thanks all... The steam tube seemed very loose where it connected to the switch so I put a tiny zip tie around it, boiled it a couple of times, DRY!

patted myself on the back, went to bed, got up to a puddle under kettle.....

Bin it.

It isn't worth while to repair.

I used to have a Porsche Siemens kettle that cost about £100- 15 years ago.

One day the kettle would not engage with the sub base. I used a cable tie to project the connection on the base upwards, it worked for about 5 months, then the kettle started to leak.

That is when I decided to bin the kettle.

Solid skin kettles might well last for years, but, IMO, any with plastic windows will fail.

I have always had trouble with kettles, less so leaking, but they always end up boiling longer than they did when just OOTB.

Well, I thought I'd have one last go at it....partly beacuase I'm stubborn, but mostly because I was slightly enjoying how annoyed the missus was at having a dismantled kettle all over the kitchen table....

Removed a couple of pins that the button hinged on, that allowed me to lift away most of the guts of it, exposing the edge seal. Ran a healthy bead of high temp sealant around edge...

Two days of use later, no leaks yet. Allowing me to put the ancient noisy emergency kettle back in the loft and to look smug, however briefly.

Attachments

• PXL_20240419_062012261.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240419_062012261.MP.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 13
will this sealant prevent water draining out of the base

so it fills up?

Seeing as you can get a brand new one in The Range for £15, why bother?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back