Mosaic tiles: Drilling into grout to attach accessories

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Having read my Readers Digest Bible and followed the advice to drill inbetween the (mosaic) tiles into the grout to fix towel rail, etc, I have encountered my first problem/question....

The gap between the tiles is narrower than the width of hole required, so I will need to drill into the edges of the tiles. So, having tried this intially and fractured of the edge of one of the tiles, a different technique is required..

I assume a masonry bit is required, though this makes it very hard to maintain the correct centre.

Help please!? :cry:

N.B. I did find gcol's advice belatedly;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=217380#217380. So if I need to run a line through a page of my Bible pls let me know!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In they are ceramic (unlikely) or natural stone then a masonary bit will be OK but don't use hammer.

If they are glass or porcelain then a 6mm diamond coated hole saw/drill is whats needed, get them from Tile shops or sheds at a price or I get mine from here use them wet and expect then to last 5-10 holes depending on material.

I try to avoid drilling the joint or near the edge as it is too likely to damage the tile as yopu have found.

Jason

In they are ceramic (unlikely) or natural

I try to avoid drilling the joint or near the edge as it is too likely to damage the tile as yopu have found.

Jason

Thanks Jason.

They are glass and sounds like its a bit painful with the process you describe.

So you think I would be best to do a U-turn and drill though the tiles?

drill straight through the tiles.on no circumstances drill on hammer though.

as said before,if you drill into the grout line the edge will chip as the drill bit bites.not a problem all the time as its usually well covered by whatever it is you are fixing,but sometimes...................

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back