MOT failure (emissions)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Toyota Avensis 98 plate.
It has just failed its MOT on emissions.
Fast idle test
speed 2650/min limit, mine is 2464 pass
CO 0.3 limit mine is 0.01 pass
HC 200 limit mine is 7 pass
Lambda 1.03 limit mine is 1.13 fail

2nd idle test
speed mine is 2496 pass
CO mine is 0.00 pass
HC mine is 5 pass
Lambda mine is 1.11 fail
Does anyone have any ideas on the cure for tha Lambda failure.

Sponsored Links
I would renew the lambda sensor. You can try cleaning it but it is probably the original and therefor about 10 years old, after which you would have to submit it for a retest and it could fail again.

;)

I don't know how much they are but a piece of cake to fit on the Avensis. It's staring you in the face when you open the bonnet.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the responses.
I added some chemicals into the petrol, gave it a good blast down 1 junction on the motorway.
Back in for the retest this morning and through she went.
Best £12.50 spent in ages.
So if your motor is going in for its MOT flush the engine through. :D

....... I added some chemicals into the petrol, gave it a good blast down 1 junction on the motorway.
Back in for the retest this morning and through she went ......

Ahhh... The good old 'Italian tune-up' - There's much to be said for 'blowing the cobwebs out' with a quick blast along a fast road immediatly prior to an MOT, even without any of the cleaning chemicals.

I always use an MOT station near a long open stretch of dual carriageway, and take the car there the long way round. I never had any problems with emissions.
Once I took the car directly to the MOT station, and they tested the emissions, then drove it out of the workshop and disappeared off up the road like a bat out of hell. One of the lads explained 'they are just making sure the engine is up to working temperature'.
Five minutes later the car appeared back down the dual carriageway, and it passed the emissions test. ;)

Back