Motorbikes!

Hi John,
Quick reply.
Yes, I knew you had it at some point.
During a few moments of boredom, a couple of weeks ago, I put some of my old reg numbers into google to see if anything came up and the Honda led to a comment you made on this site about 3 years ago where you mentioned the number plate.

I bought the bike in Bradford in early 1980 and about four years later traded it and the Bonneville in to Morpeth Motorcycles. I guessing that's where you bought it.
Cheers,
Neil

Sponsored Links
Just scratching the memory cell, Neil.....
Bought VRC from Morpeth M/C's, had it a good while, rebuilt the motor, stupidly fitted that Motad exhaust and eventually traded it back to MM in exchange for a dog Kawa 750 GT (I was done that time).
That one went to M&S for a Kawa GTR 1000, thankfully I got what I paid for it.
Nice to see it again - cheers for that!
John :)

After a 40 year wait i have taken the plunge and bought a ducati 350 single in need of some work !!!!!!!! wanted one since i first so one aged 17 hope its going to fulfill the dream

Well ahead of its time - a bonny desmodromic single with a unique sound!
Do send some pics if you can.....is a complete rebuild in order?

Sponsored Links
its the bevel not desmo ,will upload some photos later in the week ,not bad order but want it better we are never happy are we !been painted red at some time debating on going original or leaving it

from what i understand on the desmo valves are opened and closed by cam allowing for very high revs on the bevel the valves are spring closing so wont rev as high as good old valve slap occurs

Yes, that is correct.....a curiously shaped cam has one lobe that opens the valve, and another that closes it again. Because of this arrangement, hair pin valve springs are better than the conventional coil type......less spring pressure needed to close the valve means less friction and higher RPM.
It'll be interesting to see what arrangement your engine has - I've never owned a Ducati.

A proud moment- me and Tracey getting the tap from the starter, MGP 2013. I'll be back.......
IMGP5708.JPG

Now then John- yep- that's me . From your location I might know you in real life (racing at East Fortune and Croft with NEMCRC and Melville), marshalling at the Manx last 2 years (various locations on the Mountain) or maybe just as seen on TV? https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj8spqmvpLKAhXMOxQKHSy4AgwQtwIIKTAA&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6itL4LrPUk&usg=AFQjCNHhaMct8iCjaKuSTlEQTLPPLXPhag&sig2=Y_nPZ2ULOdB8G5ZUP_5BsA&bvm=bv.110151844,d.ZWU

And how did I get there- a medium length story. Started racing in 2005- ish, first race day was a disaster, I was so slow that the Clerk of the Course told me to **** off and come back when I'd learnt how to ride. So I did. 2008 came back to that club after 2 years thrashing round Elvington and the like and won the Steelframe championship. 2009 tried road racing (at Oliver's Mount), made a bit of a boo boo and woke up in hospital 3 weeks later. 2012 went over to the TT to see what was what (and say hello to sidecar friends) and was hooked. Instantly. There was talk then that MGP 2012 might be the last ever so slung an entry together, fettled the fleet (3 CBR600s now, Old Faithful, New Pet and Tracey) and got on the boat. Driving up Glencrutchery Road from the Sea Terminal (van in booster gear crawling up) I'm thinking 'Down here, flat stick? You're having a laugh'. But that bit is (relatively) easy. 2012 ended on Wed of practise week for me (turned in too early at Sarah's Cottage and ran out of road on the exit, was knocked out so not allowed to race) but did get involved in Greenlight's documentary, which I'm quite pleased about (who am I kidding here, I'm chuffed to NAAFI breaks about it actually).

2013 went back, had another go, actually finished Newcomers race but lap times not brilliant (fastest was 96. something MPH). Been marshalling the last 2 years and getting in as many laps round the course as I can (Tracey in the pic has a numberplate and daylight MOT). I will be back racing there one day. Hopefully.

I've been to the Island many times - just as a spectator though! Never had the guts or the skills to try racing, and too old now which is probably just as well! I'm hoping to be there for the GP this year if family ties allow.....everyone should go!
Thanks for the story and ride safe!

You're never too old- I started racing at the tender age of 44, there's plenty of us elders around the paddock (mostly not in the axe murderer classes I'll grant you but 20 year old Hondas still shift on- Tracey (1996 CBR600) clocked 150.1 through Sulby one evening- not too shoddy for an old bloke on an elderly bike). If you fancy it then do it- main thing that's kept me club racing for 11 years now is the people you meet, second thing is the adrenalin hit when you're sat on the line waiting for the red light to go off, 3rd thing is it gives you an excuse to spend MASSIVE amounts of time (Emmerdale and Corrie particularly) in the shed fettling.

And if you don't fancy racing (and to be honest I sometimes question my sanity) then have you ever thought about marshalling? Don't be suckered in by the 'best view in the house' propaganda- yes you do get an excellent view but you're too busy checking the bikes for bits hanging off and clocking yellow flag overtakes, who is getting lapped, what is the sector before/after doing to really follow the racing BUT again, great bunch of people to spend time with and my excuse- while I'm having my midlife crisis others in orange are out there for my safety, only fair that I let others have a midlife crisis by joining the orange army. Plus (as a racer) it is really useful to spend a day at a corner to see how the quick lads take it. Example- the right hander after the 27th milestone on the TT course looks quite tight and intimidating. But having marshalled there last year I know that it can be taken flat stick in 5th- there's loads of camber on it.

And if you really fancy some madness, be a sidecar passenger :)

12066027_1071125586243796_5654373254837302317_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back