Motorised Valve Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my central heating not working, due to a faulty motorised valve (I think). When I slide the lever on the valve to the Open/Manual position my radiators heat up nicely. Trouble is, after a while the little lever slips out of open position back to "auto" and they cool down again to cold.

Until I can get a proper replacement fitted, is it safe to block the lever's route back to the "auto" position by wedging a coin into the lever's slot ? I find this works nicely but I don't want to do this if it's dangerous.

Sponsored Links
Don't know what type of valve you have fitted but any I've seen have a notch in the slot to allow the lever to be operated manually. The lever should return to auto under spring pressure. Hold it in the notch until it stays there under the pressure of the spring. Wedging it open with a coin will not cause any damage.
It sounds like you have a faulty motor in the valve. When you replace it, get a spare so you always have one to hand. Don't forget to isolate the supply before fitting your new motor. :)

Putting a coin in the slot is alot easier than removing the motor, that's why !

Sponsored Links
BigSteve said:
Don't know what type of valve you have fitted but any I've seen have a notch in the slot to allow the lever to be operated manually. The lever should return to auto under spring pressure. Hold it in the notch until it stays there under the pressure of the spring. Wedging it open with a coin will not cause any damage.

Thanks for that. I did hold it in the little notch until it stayed there but still it returns to the auto position later on. The motor seems to kick in to close the valve, but not to open it. As I moved it to open manually it did seem a bit stiff.

Sounds like the valve IS partly working. When it actuates it WILL release the manual lever from the slot. Also, when you operate it manually it WILL be quite stiff because you're actually spinning the motor as the lever moves.

If the valve has 2 ports (in and out - ie. a Zone valve) the last thing that it does as it opens under motor power is turn on the boiler (and maybe pump). It's IMPOSSIBLE to operate the internal switch that does this when you operate the valve manually. So how come your heating works when you open the valve manually???

Please describe the system you have, including boiler make / model and make / model of motorised valves.

If the valve has an isolator switch for power, turn this off or the motor will eventually kick the valve out of manul mode. This happened to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back