mounting a consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am installing a new consumer unit to an old fused setup and need to mount on a new board. I have been told that this board needs to be fire resistant to comply with regs, does anybody know if this is true?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
DAZB answered my thread -"distribution"
Im going to use some 3/4 mdf Ive got and tell anyone who asks "its fireboard mate"

Anyone know where I can get proper fireproof backboard, and how much it is.

Don't think I've seen it in TLC?

Is there an acceptable substitute available?

Cheers,

Renovating an old property lately and we needed a new 3 phase supply. The electric company told me they needed to fit a huge busbox? to the wall and could I prepare the wall for them so they fixed onto wood rather than render. I asked them what they wanted me to fix up for them and they said "any old cr*p you have lying about, a bit of ply will do" so I used 12.5mm plyboard and now as well as their box, their is also 13 meters fixed to this wall as well as 2 consumer units and about 11 100A switch boxes. Maybe you need fire resistant wood, I don't know, but I can only go by what my local electric company told me to use. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
notsparky said:
Don't think I've seen it in TLC?

They (meter boards) are in the current (no pun intended honest) TLC catalogue.

Stuart.

I've been fitting consumer units professionally for 15+ years and never been advised to use fireproof boards.

The units themselves are fire retardant (either polycarb or metal) so the fixing surface is irrelevant.

Do you need fireproof wood if you mount a light switch on it? No!! Because the enclosure is fire retardant.

Basically benthebuilder, the supply board want something to be able to screw into. To be correct this should be chipboard but at the end of the day it makes little difference.

BR, yeah I realise something needs to be fixed to the wall to allow the meter or whatever to be mounted securely and safely. I guess I was just trying to make the point that IF there is a reg regarding fire resistant mounting board, my local electricity company certainly wasn't bothered about it.

No fire regulations on home cusumers units because they are made of plastic. Industrial are made of metal which they have fire barriers up and commerical are both.

sde1969 said:
No fire regulations on home cusumers units because they are made of plastic. Industrial are made of metal which they have fire barriers up and commerical are both.

if that was true how do you explain this
CMM8N.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back