Moved door frame - how do I adjust it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an old victorian house, which has all of its original doors & frames intact. However, one frame has moved in at the bottom (the other doors have a piece of shaped hard wood stopping the frames from doing this at the base of the frame...I don't know what this is called!). I want to move the frame back to its original position and make a replacement base frame (the easy bit). How do I move the frame back? I've thought of using the car jack between two pieces of wood. Is this a good idea? Or is there a proper way of doing this job?

surferdude68

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I don't know what an internal casing is? But looking at it a little more the frame seems to have moved off the shaped skirting board, its not warped just the angle seems to be less than 90% in the top left hand corner.

The problem is that the door won't close. Some how I've got to move it back in place and fasten it there.

surferdude

Sponsored Links
you will probably need to remove the architraves and tease out any material that has fallen behind the casing.
you could then cut a piece of 100x50mm timber slightly longer than the door opening width and wedge the casing back into position.
it may be wise to protect the casing as you do this.
then fix the casing back with some 3", 10's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back