Moved house - bare wires all over - how can I make them safe

can the DOL starter be for the gas central heating or hot water pump?

Sponsored Links
What is a DOL starter?
The box with the red and green buttons, beneath the time clock

Usually used for motors as a starter , but sometimes used as a contactor to switch loads on on and off possibly controlled via the timeclock
You will hear it clunk in and out when it operates
Do you know what all the switches ,etc, operates

Some of the switches are marked in pencil so they don't show in the photo.
They are labelled:
Bell Back?
Hot water pump
Basement
1st floor
only bast
immersion
utility
sag pigc?
the clock thing over the DOL starter says Vinerette
Does that help?

Hi Guys!

Yes I had a top survey - just said electrics could do with updating!
I even had a builder quote before completion and he didn't think there was much wrong either.
Stop p****ng us about - you cannot seriously be claiming that you had a survey done after the previous occupant removed appliances and accessories and left wires hanging out and they said it was OK.

Stop spending your time here and start kicking your solicitor to sue the arse off the git who sold you this property.

Sponsored Links
That's mean.
The survey was done before I exchanged contracts and so before the previous owner moved out.

its been a couple years since i moved but i had to fill out one of these

www.apmalam.co.uk/downloadfiles/fixture_fittings.pdf

i also recieved one from the people i was buying off, it should have been sent to you via your solicitor, and it states that anything removed must be made good, and electrical fittings removed should be replaced with sockets, ceiling rose etc etc

i agree with b-a-s, you need to get on to your solicitors

I did get a form like that.
OK I'll email the solicitor.
Before I do - can you tell me if this is electrical or phone or other please

OK I've emailed solicitor - but I don't want to sue an old lady who was probably ripped off herself by who ever cut these wires.

How can I tell which wires are live?
How can I make them safe?

How can I tell which wires are live?
How can I make them safe?
The mere fact that you ask that shows that you need assistance, and from your description you don't have time to acquire competence, so you need to get an electrician asap....

were those wires bare at the time the survey was done? If so then the surveyer should have picked it up. If not then the seller has been removing fittings and leaving things dangerous after your survey which is definately not acceptable.

Either way you need to get your solicitor involved.

I don't remember seeing them before. Except for 2 thin loose wires in the bathroom which I mentioned to the surveyor (RICS) before he inspected the house but he didn't make anything of it.

It'll be at least a week before I will be able to call out an electrician.

Can I ask about the big bunch of cables coming from a wall box and lying on the carpet (bottom right of picture) ?
Some of these wires (which are stiff, flat, electrical wire with red and black wires) appear to be used as speaker wire - is that possible????
Some of them have speaker type connectors at the end and appear to go into the wall and out again on either side of the room again with speaker connectors. However some of these are cut and there is a green (earth?) cable mixed in too.
I'd like to know, as these look the worst.

It would be unwise to say without testing what they are
They are mains rated cable and should be treated as such till proved otherwise, it would be over the top for speaker wire but not unheard of

Can't prove if they were there before purchase. I suspect that they were hidden by furniture etc as they are mostly dirty and don't look freshly cut or capped. Solicitor says if they were there before then there is no comeback. RICS surveyor cover themselves by saying they don't move furniture or lift carpets etc. I think it was all hidden by furiture and so probably has been there a long time. There are still many wall lights left in the house so it wasn't a case of everything being removed.
Anyway I can wire a plug and I have fitted a power socket before (took ages because I'm a girl) but with advice I did it and it was good.

1. Can someone give me a link to what to buy say on TLC or Screwfix to blank these off please?

2. Also, I need to be able to test which wires are live. I want to switch off fuse boxes one at a time to see which is which.

I have some little detectors that I used to use to check walls before hanging pictures but none of them are 100% accurate (I think due to bonding in the walls). I certainly am reluctant to hang a picture here as I assume behind the walls is littered with cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back