moving gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to have my gas meter moved as it is in the kitchen and not in the best of places,
i simply want it on the outside wall of where it is now can anyone advise how to go about this. ?
a am getting a new boiler fitted so should i have the meter done 1st or get the boiler up then have the meter moved. ?
will they reconnect the house side of the gas as well or is it down to my own plumber to do this.
any advice please.

Sponsored Links
it would be better to get the meter moved first but you would need transco to do this for you at a very expensive charge

Transco do it...phone them up and they will send you an information and application pack. Expect a bill of about 4 - 500 depending on how much alteration is involved.

can anyone give me an idea on how long they will take to come round to do the job

Sponsored Links
i have today contacted transco and they have given me another number to call as they say they cannot move the meter as they do not own the gas pipe,

johnad said:
i have today contacted transco and they have given me another number to call as they say they cannot move the meter as they do not own the gas pipe,

Explain please.

is this a sub meter or a mains meter from the road

the company i was told to call was fulcron connections who deal with moving the supply although the paperwork i received this morning had transco on it,
i am moving the gas meter from inside my kitchen to the outside wall,
the forms i was given to complete are quite straightforward and the cost depends on the points that you add up from the form, my points score was 2 so i will pay a flat fee of about £300.
they will recconect the customer side of things as long as it is within 2m of the meter and they will also replace the main gas supply pipe if it needs it at no additional cost.
not bad value considering that i have this ugly meter hanging above my back door.

This is in there interest as they can now read metre without entry

As a matter of interest, how do the gas company manage to shut off the gas when there appears to be no "shut-off" below the gas meter?
I've noticed on more modern gas supplies that there is a tee with a cap and, i presume, a valve inside, just as the supply pipe enters a property.
But what about older houses? Do they have to start digging?

Kev, dont remember what i meant to say, must have been having one of my do's. As a matter of interest do you have anything to say about the question i asked?
By report, i've heard of plumbers changing the position of the gas meter without gas company permission and when the meter reader came around he noticed nothing changed or couldn't have cared less.

now you have got me thinking
my supply pipe runs out of the ground and up the outside wall so the pipe will have to be cut just above ground level in order to fit the new box and meter (how DO they shut off the supply ?) or do they do it live ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back