moving gas meter

Sponsored Links
you know what?...I've never even thought about it. What about medium pressure supplies?

They use a clamp on the yellow pipe to temporarily crush the pipe flat, seen them do it before and they used a drilling machine table vice clamp.
the gas pipe manufuctures supply thier own clamps to suit.

Sponsored Links
So, presumably, all this takes place underground. They then have to use a compression fitting underground on gas and have to leave the fitting there? Is this a connector or a gas valve? Do they wrap the cut pipe/fitting?
When they squash the pipe flat, is it to create a stop end or are they somehow going to now cut the pipe and fit the fitting?

interesting ???
i will find out soon how it will be done but as a matter of interest you say they will use a clamp to squash the pipe flat but my main pipe is steel with a plastic sleave around it ?
i assume there is some sort of tee below ground so will they dig down to this and fit a new upright or cut and thread the old one if so how? as it is against the house wall, ???

Saw a inside meter replaced with a external meter at below ground level.
After excavating to find steel gas pipe a guy took less than two minutes to cut through with a hacksaw, before capping it.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All over MUCH quicker if you use an angle grinder.
Or freeze the pipe.

This gets more bizarre.Freeze gas, use a power tool in a gas cloud, unless thats meant to be a risky joke. Mandate, after cutting the metal pipe how did the fitter manage to thread the in-situ pipe (in a manageable time) to fit a new connection/valve?
I'm still interested in the Q. is it Regs. to leave a compression fitting underground on a gas supply, or is it something thats "just done"?
Are modern gas supplies in plastic sheathed copper or sheathed metal galvanised pipe?
Do all modern installations have a valve before the meter on the supply pipe somewhere? I'm not talking about the shut-off at the meter.

--tom said:
This gets more bizarre.Freeze gas, use a power tool in a gas cloud, unless thats meant to be a risky joke. Mandate, after cutting the metal pipe how did the fitter manage to thread the in-situ pipe (in a manageable time) to fit a new connection/valve?
I'm still interested in the Q. is it Regs. to leave a compression fitting underground on a gas supply, or is it something thats "just done"?
Are modern gas supplies in plastic sheathed copper or sheathed metal galvanised pipe?
Do all modern installations have a valve before the meter on the supply pipe somewhere? I'm not talking about the shut-off at the meter.

It was a risky joke, some pratt could just try it.

Transitional fittings made for gas are compression, theses are tested and wrapped with denso tape.

Nearly all modern supplies to the meter are PE except for the last 1m from the building which is steel.

All new installs have a valve in the ground normally at the connection in the road.

doitall, thank you for your informative reply.
However, further Q.'s: i'm aware of a couple of instances where the gas co. didn't dig the road up to change the meter position. How did they do that?
The last meter in steel is the wxposed bit i suppose?

They would do it live anyway, unless you want to pay a couple of grand to dig the road up.

Into, and the first meter is steel Denso taped after testing.

ChrisR said:
Just keeping you busy, dia.

Thanks pal,

Busy is not what I need right now, new head would be good though.

Did you have a nice trip m8

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back