Moving gas taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have two 'real coal' effect gas fires and I'd like the taps and pipes moved so they're not on show. Are you allowed to have the tap under the floor with a small access panel above it? I'm not going to do the job myself but I'd like to think about it before I call someone out.

Also, one of the fires doesn't have a pilot light which I think isn't allowed now. Will the gas fitter refuse to work on it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's not permitted to ask for gas installation advice on this forum. You should employ the services of a Gas Safe registered Gas Fitter.

Also, one of the fires doesn't have a pilot light which I think isn't allowed now. Will the gas fitter refuse to work on it? Thanks.
It is allowed. There's many old dfe's out there without a pilot. If an engineer refuses to work on it for this reason then AFAIK they are wrong.

However I doubt you will have the instructions for the fire if it is old enough not to have a pilot? Which is a valid reason for the engineer not to work on it. Amongst many others such as permanent ventilation etc.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't actually want anything doing to the fire itself, I was just hoping he could put an elbow joint in the supply pipe and conceal the tap (although I can see why the might still stop him) . There's an air brick in the room. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, you can work on a fire with no pilot. But as my esteemed colleague suggests, some guys won't work without manufacturers instructions (for all we know, you have them). If one works on the supply pipe, there are mandatory tests on the fire which MUST be carried out.

And, yes, you can conceal the valve, one way or another.

But is it worth shelling out what will be a reasonably significant sum on an ancient, and very inefficient, fire?

Phone an RGI, registered for and experienced with gas fires, and explain your situation

Thanks. I had a Gas Safe Installer out who thinks the taps have to be above the floor. He mostly works on boilers so he's gone to read up on the regs.

He also mentioned the ventilation. I don't have the manufacturers instructions but I called them and they told me that if it was 6.9 kW or above it would need a vent. The plate says 6.2 kW.

I can't get to the plate on the other but in the room I have an air brick which is 22cm X 15cm. I've read that 100cm2 of free air is required so do you think that type of brick is enough? (Photo below).

If not, there is an archway into the kitchen (no doorway) so does that count as the same internal space? It would be easier to add another vent there than make the existing one bigger. There's also an open plan staircase over 3 floors. Could I vent the loft door if there's a vented roof tile?

I've also read about adventitious air reducing the requirement. The room is 32m2, straight off the street, and without any doorways heat is escaping all over the house - hence why I got the fire in the first place.

Edit - I've since read that adventitious air is already taken into account with DFEs vent requirement so ignore that bit

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
no that airbrick you have is probably around 40% of what you require it needs a proper gas vent which fits same size opening

So would my kitchen be a suitable place for it given that there's no doorway between the rooms, just an arch? Thanks.

Why put in another hole when you can use the existing one ?

Because I'd rather not knock out what's there but I could either convert a cat flap or cut a hole in a UPVC panel in the kitchen. Both would be easier and if I have to have a plastic vent I'd rather it was at the back of the house.

Big Snoopy - I was about to do that but noticed it's on their website. I'll print that off. Although having read more around the regs, I'm a bit surprised.

Thanks. I had a Gas Safe Installer out who thinks the taps have to be above the floor. He mostly works on boilers so he's gone to read up on the regs.

He also mentioned the ventilation. I don't have the manufacturers instructions but I called them and they told me that if it was 6.9 kW or above it would need a vent. The plate says 6.2 kW.

If it is an inset tray type fire (DGF), and no MI's, the default position will be that it needs 100 cm.

The valve obviously has to be accessible, so under the floor would be unlikely to comply. But on most jobs the valve could go under the fire.
I did suggest you find a guy experienced in fires. Is yours actually registered for fires?:
http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help/check_a_business_or_engineer.aspx

I don't know. His company is but they sent him round even though I had explained over the phone. I've got another guy coming out on Monday who seemed to be more knowledgeable. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back