mushrooms in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couldn't believe my eyes - mushrooms growing in my bathroom! :eek:
I have had quite a bad leak from a bath tap, over a prolonged time, and obviously floor has been sodden - house is new, so floor seems to be made of panels of boarding.

Leak mended now, but mushrooms appearing... do you think it likely I should take the floor up and replace? It doesn't seem to be drying out adequately. If I box it all back in again will the fungi continue to grow?

All suggestions gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
i work with this type of boarding when i fit the carpets and in my opinion and what i have seen when they get wet is to take them up and replace.

If it's a chipboard floor then it'll turn to weetabix. It's probably just a harmless fungus, but just in case it's dry rot I'd treat all affected timbers and replace the damaged floor.

Sponsored Links
If it's a chipboard floor then it'll turn to weetabix. It's probably just a harmless fungus, but just in case it's dry rot I'd treat all affected timbers and replace the damaged floor.

oh dear :eek:(
this is just what I didn't want to do. Guess floor tiles will have to come up, which means loo and pedestal coming out cos they fitted over the tiles.

:(
thank you for your post anyway!

If it isn't drying out then you've got a leak somewhere. I've never heard of wet rot growing without a source of water. If it's upstairs it's pretty unlikely to be dry rot. In fact I'd go as far as saying it was nigh on impossible.

joe just for the record m8,dry rot will and can happen anywhere and at any floor,i do agree with you about wet rot needing a source.
not saying the op has this problem but i think some investigation is needed .

The reason I say it is unlikely is that dry rot needs certain conditions to flourish. That's usually found under the floor at ground floor level. It then carries it's own moisture from the ground to wherever it wants. I've never seen it at first floor after a leak.

i have many times,and just a few months back from an old casement window that was on the 1st floor that had let water/moisture in and then on hacking plaster off found an old lead pipe in the corner and the dry rot had spread like wild fire up and down to the ground infecting everything in its path.
hopefully for the o.p all it is,is just wet rot where the possible leak is and then its just replace and treat in localized area (and it might just be the chipboard thats fubared) but bear in mind the up heavall that it creates,just search the forum for previous posts on wet rot.

The reason I say it is unlikely is that dry rot needs certain conditions to flourish. That's usually found under the floor at ground floor level. It then carries it's own moisture from the ground to wherever it wants. I've never seen it at first floor after a leak.

As you say if the conditions are good wet rot can turn to dry rot if left untreated for a long period of time. Unlike wet rot though it can travel through masonry etc. therefore creating a much larger job to treat and get rid of it. I have seen it spread through a terrace of houses, admittedly on the GF.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back