MY GRUNDFOS BOILER PUMP IS BUBBLING / NOISY. HELP !!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating boiler pump is a Grundfos. It is not a combi heating system and we still have a working immersion heater/tank. After problems earlier in the year which has now been very expensively repaired, I am starting to notice that when I am in the bathroom, which is were our boiler is, or, in the adjoining bedroom, there is a noise coming from the boiler. On close inspection this appears to coming from inside the Grundfos pump and seems to sound like a gurgling / bubbling sound. Is this safe and how can I stop this noise which very annoying in bedroom.
:oops: :confused: :oops: :confused: :oops: :confused: :oops: :confused: :oops: :confused:

Sponsored Links
It is not the pump that is at fault.

sounds like you have air or gas in the circulating water. Bleed all the radiators, plus bleed the end screw on the pump (all turned off)

see what you get out.

Also go and look at the feed and expansion tank in the loft is it full and clean (no mud or slime)?

is there any reason to suppose water is pumping out of the vent pipe over the top when the pump is started up or running (tie a bit of rag round it and check again after a day or two

When you bleed the highest radiator in the house, does water squirt out forcefully?

When did you last add chemicals to the F&E tank, and what were they?

Why didn't you tell us what these expensive problems were, and how they were fixed?

Hi and thank you JohnD for your reply, my PC has been an absolute mess with connecting but here goes I am up and running again.
I have checked the tank and all seem fine up there and I have bled the radiators. I am unsure as to bleeding the valves on the pump so have uploaded this picture, are these the valves I open ???
This is the area which is noisy and bubbling or gurgling and its still just the same.

no. those are pump valves, which you close if you need to take the pump off.

to bleed a pump, turn off the system, then undo the silver screw in the middle of the motor end of the pump. Water may dribble out (it will not squirt out) and you may get air first.

there will be an arrow cast into the side of the pump at the pipes end. Is it pointing up or down?

is there any reason to suppose water is pumping out of the vent pipe over the top when the pump is started up or running (tie a bit of rag round it and check again after a day or two

When you bleed the highest radiator in the house, does water squirt out forcefully?

When did you last add chemicals to the F&E tank, and what were they?

Why didn't you tell us what these expensive problems were, and how they were fixed

Sponsored Links
i have the same problem moderator same pump the lot im not hijacking just explaining what my plumber did to solve the problem putting experiences together can lead to a solution!!! Im a electrician not a plumber so you can kiss goodbye to any advice i can give that i know.

A tip I've learned is to stuff a bit of toilet roll up the pipe. It shows water very well, and dissolves if it gets seriously wet or falls into the tank so won't get sucked into anything or cause problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back