my mains water seems to be 27mm pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very old (and leaky) stop cock. I've measured the pipe either side and it's 27mm. I can find replacement parts for 28mm pipe, but I'm not sure about my pipe. It doesn't even seem to be an imperial size (27mm is just over an inch, but is less than 1 1/8th inches).

Sponsored Links
It's quite discoloured, but I'd say it's gun metal grey.

The pipe comes out the ground vertically by about 5", then has a sort of bulbous bit ending in a nut, and that's where a threaded pipe goes in (the stop cock is connected to this part).

So do imperials quote the internal diameter then? That vaguely rings a bell, and would explain why the o/d that I measured is just over an inch.

Sponsored Links
then has a sort of bulbous bit ending in a nut

sounds like lead to me

Lead pipe. Does it look similar to this?

T8250238-Lead_mains_water_pipe-SPL.jpg

Now that someone has posted a picture of lead pipe, I realise that my description of a "bulbous" fitting was quite misleading! :confused:

Ok, 3/4" galvanised you say. Sounds good.

Another clue to the material that I've just remembered is that last Christmas we went away for a week or so (first year in this property), and when we came back all the taps would run really rusty for a few seconds. Once it had cleared, no more rusty deposits.

the bulbus thing in your picture is called a longscrew

shame it's gone from the acs now dan :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: really loved the old sticky fingers after coating the hemp, then camr the sticky trousers as you rubbed in an innapropriate area.

I almost missed it... can't remember doing it the last time, or the time before that...

Vaguely remember breaking a sweat on the first time round though :LOL:

think i failed my first ever pipe board because of it, my first acs was 1 year before it dissapeared.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back